Elisabeth Dehareng has been a partner in Baker McKenzie's Brussels office since 2014. Ms. Dehareng advises clients in all fields of IT, IP and new technology law, with a special focus on data protection and privacy aspects. She regularly works with companies in the healthcare, finance and transport and logistics sectors.
Ms. Dehareng focuses her practice on privacy and data protection, e-commerce, and intellectual property.
She has extensive experience leading European and global data protection compliance programs, including advising on cross-border data transfers strategies, processing of sensitive data, data security breach management and notification requirements, as well as compliance strategies in view of the upcoming EU General Data Protection Regulation.
Ms. Dehareng also assists clients in cloud computing arrangements and the implementation of HR management solutions, including all privacy and intellectual property aspects. She also advises clients in relation to e-commerce, digital and social media and online applications, including legal aspects of big data and the internet of things, behavioral marketing and consumer protection aspects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising multinational companies on the use of third-party vendors in the US and assisting in the negotiation of data processing and transfer agreements as an alternative data transfer mechanism following the invalidation of the Safe Harbor Program.
- Advising multinational companies on new requirements under the General EU Data Protection Regulation and consequences on current data protection compliance projects.
- Advising global companies on all data protection and privacy aspects of corporate transactions and restructuring and the impact of data protection compliance structures that are in place.
- Advising multinational companies and coordinating European and worldwide data protection compliance projects, including (i) advising on appropriate solutions to cover the transfer of HR, customers' and suppliers' data worldwide, (ii) coordinating filing process and approval of data transfer agreements with local authorities, (iii) implementing cloud computing arrangements and whistleblowing hotline and (iv) advising on the upcoming EU General Data Protection Regulation.
- Advising on the data protection aspects relating to the conduct of internal investigation and trade compliance reviews.
- Assisting major cosmetic company in the defense of its trademarks, including opposition proceedings.
- Handling counterfeiting litigation matters for an international cloth company.
- Brussels~Belgium (2003)
- University of Liège (Post Graduate Degree European Law Cum Laude - exchange program at the University of Rome 'La Sapienza' in Italy) (2003)
- University of Liège (Law Degree Magna Cum Laude - exchange program at the University of Ottawa in Canada) (2002)
- Catholic University of Leuven (Complementary degree Philosophy Cum Laude) (2000)