Olivier dal Farra is a counsel in the tax group of Baker McKenzie's Luxembourg office. His practice is focused on corporate tax and international tax planning. He has more than 10 years of experience in Luxembourg. Before joining Baker McKenzie in 2019, Olivier worked as a senior tax manager for an audit firm in Luxembourg and in several international law firms in Paris and Luxembourg. He also worked at the European Court of Justice.
Olivier’s practice focuses on international tax planning and tax advice in connection with M&A transaction and reorganization. Olivier routinely assists international clients, including foreign asset managers and private equity firms in tax structuring strategies concerning their debt or equity investments. He also advises financial institutions (bank/insurance companies) and wealthy families on tax planning and international tax compliance aspects.
Representative Legal Matters
Before joining Baker McKenzie, Olivier handled the following matters:
- Advised a US-based private equity firm on the setup and financing aspects of a Luxembourg investment platform dedicated to UK real estate investment.
- Assisted a French-based private equity house on the tax structuring of a Luxembourg-regulated debt investment fund and its downstream investment structure.
- Assisted a Belgian financial institution with the local and cross-border tax aspects of establishing a Luxembourg securitization vehicle to support a public asset-backed securities (ABS) program.
- Assisted a Nordic infrastructure asset manager on the structuring of a Luxembourg-regulated investment fund investing in risk capital (SICAR).
- Assisted a UHNW single family office on the setup of their Luxembourg private investment platform.
- Acted for a Luxembourg life insurance company to identify potential risks in relation with freedom to provide services globally and coordinating local tax, regulatory and legal input from more than 25 countries.
- Conducted an on-site review for a private bank to identify non-tax compliant structures or possible tax fraud cases.
- Defended a private equity company in a pre-litigation estimated tax assessment procedure with the tax authorities.
- Luxembourg~Luxembourg (2012)
- Paris Bar School (2010)
- University of Nancy (Masters' Degree Professional Business and Tax Law) (2008)
- Anglia University (LL.M. International and European Business Law) (2007)
- Luxembourg Chamber of Commerce (Specialization Course A and B Cycles in Taxation)
- Presenter, Finix Event, « Montages fiscaux : quelles obligations de déclarations pour les professionnels du secteur financier et les intermédiaires », in Luxembourg, October 2019
- Co-Presenter, Institut des réviseurs d’entreprises, « Blanchiment en matière fiscale : la frontière entre la fraude fiscale et l’optimisation fiscale », in Luxembourg, October 2019
- Presenter, IFE seminar, « De BEPS à ATAD II, quelles actions pour lutter contre l’évasion fiscale » ?, in Luxembourg, October 2019
- Presenter, IFE seminar, « Comment faire la distinction entre la fraude fiscale et l’optimisation fiscale ? Quels risques fiscaux pour le mandat d’administrateur ? », in Luxembourg, October 2018
- Co-presenter, Latin-American private clients, “Compliant holding and fund solutions for Latin-American clients through Luxembourg,” in Geneva, June 2018
- Presenter, IFE/ABBL : « Respecter l’obligation de vigilance envers la clientèle concernant les infractions fiscales », in Luxembourg, May 2018
- Co-presenter, Russia & CIS private clients, « Real estate: How to structure the holding of real estate/property in Europe via a holding company», in Zurich, May 2018
- Presenter, IFE seminar, « Toutes les questions pratiques suite à la circulaire CSSF du 17 février 2017 » ; October 2017
- Author, « Le lien entre blanchiment et fraude fiscale à Luxembourg » ; « La nouvelle transparence et les obligations de reporting, Belgique – France – Luxembourg », in Revue Internationale de Patrimoine Privé, June 2019
- Co-author, “The Danish Beneficial Ownership Cases: CJEU Rules that Luxembourg SICAR Regime May Not Benefit from EU Interest and Royalties Directive,” Luxembourg Agefi, Mensuel mars 2019, Fonds/Bourse, March 2019
- Co-author, « Echange automatique d'informations: Les bonnes résolutions imposées aux banques dès 2015, Luxembourg Agefi, Mensuel, January 2015
Baker & McKenzie Luxembourg is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.