Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Stephen Crosswell served as the Head of the Antitrust and Competition practice in Hong Kong for a magic circle firm and also coordinated their overall practice in Asia.
Stephen has been granted “Solicitor Advocate” status before the Hong Kong Courts. He is also representing one of the parties to the first enforcement action that has been taken in Hong Kong’s Competition Tribunal.
Stephen's practice covers a broad range of competition law issues in China, Hong Kong and throughout the Asia Pacific, including competition audits and compliance, competition litigation, competition related judicial review proceedings, access claims, multijurisdictional cartel investigations, merger clearance, collaboration/joint ventures and antitrust advisory. Stephen also regularly advises on competition policy matters, including regulated industry negotiations with governments and regulators, industry advisory, deregulation, privatization and state owned enterprises reform.
Stephen advises across a broad range of sectors, including media and telecommunications, government contracts, oil and gas, retail, banking and finance, property and ports.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Platinum Equity, LLC on the China merger control clearance aspects of its USD 4 billion acquisition of Emerson's Network Power Business, and its SGD 150 million acquisition of the Foam Plastics Solutions and the Flow Control Devices businesses from Broadway Industrial Group Limited.
- Advised HonHai (Foxconn) on the China merger control aspects of its USD 3.8 billion acquisition of Sharp.
- Advised Murata on the China merger control aspects of its acquisition of Sony’s battery division
- Advised PT. Gapura Liqua Mandiri, Multico Infracore Holdings Pte Ltd, Toray Industries, Inc and Toray Industries, Inc (TTC) on obtaining Chinese merger control clearance in respect of an offshore joint venture.
- Advised on Hong Kong aspects of a global cartel investigation.
- Worked with Singapore counsel and appearing before the Singapore regulator (CCS) on a global cartel matter.
- Worked with Singapore counsel and appearing before the Singapore regulator (CCS) on a local Singapore cartel matter arising out of an EU investigation and decision.
- Worked with Korean counsel and appearing before the KFTC on a global cartel matter.
- Worked with Malaysian counsel and appearing before the MyCC on a global cartel matter.
- Advised various multinationals on possible leniency applications in China.
- Competition Future Leaders (Partners), Who's Who Legal 2018
- Recognized Expert in Competition & Antitrust (Hong Kong), Euromoney Guide to the World’s Leading Competition & Antitrust Experts 2018
- Leading Lawyer in Antitrust & Competition (Hong Kong), Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2016 - 2018
- Leading Lawyer in Competition (Hong Kong), IFLR 1000, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Leading Lawyer in Antitrust/Competition (China/ Hong Kong), Chambers Asia Pacific, 2009 – 2018
- Leading Lawyer in Antitrust/Competition (China/ Hong Kong), Chambers Global, 2012 – 2017
- Leading Lawyer in TMT: Telecommunications & Broadcasting (International Firms) (China/ Hong Kong), Chambers Asia, 2009 – 2015
- Recommended Lawyer in Competition and TMT Litigation, Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2010/11
- Recommended Lawyer in Telecoms and Regulator Disputes, Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2008/09 – 2010/11
Professional Associations and Memberships
- IBA Antitrust Committee - Member (appointed 2017)
- International Competition Network (ICN) - Non-governmental adviser to the Hong Kong Competition Commission (June 2015 – February 2018)
- Leadership Section of the ABA Section of Antitrust Law International Cartel Task Force - Member (appointed 2016)
- Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce - Chairman of Legal Committee (2014 – 2017)
- Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce, Working Party on Competition Law - Member
- Law Society of Hong Kong, Sub-Committee of Competition Law - Member
- Construction Industry Council, Task Force on Competition Law - Member
- LexisNexis Editorial Board - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2010)
- Hong Kong (2007)
- New South Wales~Australia (2003)
- Australia (2003)
- New Zealand (1996)
- University of Auckland (Conjoint Bachelor of Commerce/Law Hons) (1997)