Jacopo Crivellaro is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Tax and Global Wealth Management practice groups in Zurich. He joined the Firm in 2013 after pursuing graduate law studies in the US and the UK. Jacopo has published extensively on US, international tax and estate planning matters in academic and practitioner journals, and has recently co-authored a book on the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), the Common Reporting Standard (CRS) and trust planning in Italy. He is a regular speaker at wealth management conferences and has recently co-presented a four-part series of webinars on private client developments with the Baker McKenzie Milan office.
Jacopo focuses his practice on international estate and trust planning with a US, UK, Swiss or Italian connection. He has advised individuals on pre-immigration and mobility planning, asset protection, cross-generational transfer and multinational tax and estate planning advice, including the treatment and recognition of trusts in a cross-border context. Jacopo has recently advised the executors of several complex international estates on legal and tax issues associated with the collection and distribution of estate assets to beneficiaries situated in civil and common law jurisdictions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the executor of a USD 100 million+ estate, involving assets situated in more than 15 jurisdictions, on the estate distribution and liquidation process.
- Advised the US beneficiaries of a USD 15 million foreign non-grantor trust on the restructuring of the trust following the death of the grantor.
- Young Practitioner of the Year, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) Private Client Awards, 2019
- Worldwide Excellence Awards, STEP, 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, STEP, Secretary of the Lugano branch
- Geneva Art. 28 BGFA~Switzerland (2020)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2019)
- New York~United States (2013)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (2013)
- New York University (Executive LLM in Tax) (2018)
- Oxford University (St. Catherine's College) (BCL) (2013)
- King's College London (LLB English & American Law) (2012)
- Columbia Law School, United States (JD) (2012)
Publications & Presentations
- Author, La pianificazione patrimoniale al di la' della morte: la terapia crionica, Trusts & Wealth Management Journal, January 2023
- Author, Pianificazione patrimoniale nell’era digitale, Trusts & Wealth Management Journal, December 2022
- Co-author, High Profile: Social Media's Impact on the Private Client World, STEP Journal, November 2022
- Co-author, Trust Registers in Europe: The Changing Landscape of the 5th Money Laundering Directive, Trusts & Wealth Management Journal, January 2020
- Co-author, D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals Pins IRS in Grecian Magnesite Mining Case, but a Hollow Victory for Taxpayers Prospectively, Baker McKenzie Tax News and Developments, July 2019
- Co-author, Updates to donor disclosure rules in the US and UK, Private Wealth Newsletter, December 2018
Baker & McKenzie Zurich and Baker & McKenzie Geneva are each members of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.