Matthias Courvoisier co-heads the Firm’s Capital Markets Practice Group in Zurich. He is a member of the Firm's European Capital Markets Steering Committee. For more than 20 years, Dr. Courvoisier has worked on legal matters relating to capital markets law, mergers and acquisitions, as well as litigation in these fields. He is a co-editor the commentary on the listing rules of SIX Swiss Exchange and has written various articles on capital markets law related topics. Dr. Courvoisier also served as a member of the committee tasked to draft the standards for auditing public takeover offers. He is a regular speaker at the Zurich capital markets' luncheons and other seminars.
Dr. Courvoisier focuses his practice on capital markets transactions in Switzerland, including public takeovers, IPOs and other equity capital market transactions. He has extensive experience working on M&A transactions. Dr. Courvoisier also represents clients involved in capital markets related litigation cases.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Implantica AG in its cross-border IPO.
- Acted as Swiss banks counsel to UBS and Joh. Berenberg, Gossler & Co. KG in the IPO of Zur Rose Group AG.
- Advised Swiss Finance & Property Investment AG on their 2017 capital increase.
- Advised Cosmo Pharmaceuticals on their private placement of shares worth CHF 216 million.
- Advised Arbonia AG on its CHF 415 million public takeover of Looser Holding AG.
- Acted as transaction counsel in the IPO of Varia US Properties AG.
- Advised Cosmo Pharmaceuticals on their move to the Netherlands.
- Advised Basilea Pharmaceutica on their issuance of a CHF 200 million convertible bond.
- Switzerland (2000)
- University of Zurich (Ph.D. Law) (2005)
- London Business School (Master Finance) (2004)
- University of Zurich (Master of Laws) (1995)
Co-author, "Structured Finance & Securitisation in Switzerland," Lexology/Getting the Deal Through, July 2019.
Author, "Public M&A – Switzerland," Global Public M&A Handbook, Baker & McKenzie, November 2016
Author, Commentary on articles 161, 162, 163a, 163d and 164 of the Swiss Federal Act on Private International Law, in: Stämpflis Handkommentar, Fusionsgesetz, 2nd Edition, 2015
Speaker, "Der Grossaktionär in der kotierten Gesellschaft – Teil 1," Baker McKenzie Zurich Capital Markets Luncheon, April 2016
Speaker, "FIDLEG and Capital Markets Transactions," Baker McKenzie Zurich Roundtable, March 2016