Matthias Courvoisier co-heads the Firm’s Capital Markets Practice Group in Zurich. For more than 14 years, Dr. Courvoisier has worked on legal matters relating to capital markets law, mergers and acquisitions, as well as litigation in these fields. He is a co-editor the commentary on the listing rules of SIX Swiss Exchange and has written articles for International World Securities Law Report, Le Temps, NZZ, Schweizerische Zeitschrift fur Wirtschafts-und Finanzmarktrecht, and BNA International World Securities Law Report. Dr. Courvoisier also served as a member of the committees tasked to draft the standards for auditing public takeover offers. He is a regular speaker at the Zurich capital markets' luncheons and other seminars.
Dr. Courvoisier focuses his practice on capital markets transactions in Switzerland, including public takeovers, IPOs and other equity capital market transactions. He has extensive experience working on M&A transactions and helping companies in distressed situations. Dr. Courvoisier also represents clients involved litigation cases relating to capital markets, M&A and corporate law matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted as Swiss banks counsel to UBS and Joh. Berenberg, Gossler & Co. KG in the IPO of Zur Rose Group AG.
- Advised Swiss Finance & Property Investment AG on their 2017 capital increase.
- Advised Cosmo Pharmaceuticals on their private placement of shares worth CHF 216 million.
- Advised Arbonia AG on its CHF 415 million public takeover of Looser Holding AG.
- Acted as transaction counsel in the IPO of Varia US Properties AG.
- Advised Cosmo Pharmaceuticals on their move to the Netherlands.
- Advised Basilea Pharmaceutica on their issuance of a CHF 200 million convertible bond.
- Switzerland (2000)
- University of Zurich (Ph.D. Law) (2005)
- London Business School (Master Finance) (2004)
- University of Zurich (Master of Laws) (1995)
Author, "Public M&A – Switzerland," Global Public M&A Handbook, Baker & McKenzie, November 2016
Author, Commentary on articles 161, 162, 163a, 163d and 164 of the Swiss Federal Act on Private International Law, in: Stämpflis Handkommentar, Fusionsgesetz, 2nd Edition, 2015
Speaker, "Der Grossaktionär in der kotierten Gesellschaft – Teil 1," Baker McKenzie Zurich Capital Markets Luncheon, April 2016
Speaker, "FIDLEG and Capital Markets Transactions," Baker McKenzie Zurich Roundtable, March 2016