Kenneth Chuah is a principal in the Finance & Projects Practice Group of Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow in Singapore. Kenneth has more than 10 years of experience acting for banks, borrowers and sponsors in a wide range of cross-border finance transactions across Asia Pacific. Kenneth sits on the Firm's Global Trade Finance Steering Committee. He is recognised as a rising star in Banking & Finance: Singapore by IFLR1000 2019 and recognized in Legal 500 2019 and Legal 500 2020, the latter highlighting that he has "vast knowledge in receivables financing".
Kenneth focuses his practice on structured trade and commodity finance, acquisition finance, real estate finance and restructurings. He also works for private banks and alternative credit providers (such as fintechs in the consumer credit space).
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised LGT Bank on its acquisition of ABN AMRO's private banking business in Singapore, Hong Kong and the Middle East. The acquired business includes almost USD 20 billion in assets under management.
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank, Barclays Bank PLC and BNP Paribas on a GBP 300 million acquisition financing facility provided to the UK subsidiary of Frasers Centrepoint Limited for the acquisition of the Malmaison hotels in Europe.
- Advised Tata Autocomp Systems Limited and its subsidiaries in Sweden, Brazil and US, on a highly structured USD 120 million credit facilities provided by Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited and DBS Bank Ltd for the acquisition of the Swedish company, TitanX Holding AB.
- Advised a private equity fund on the SGD 195,000 acquisition financing made available for the high profile acquisition of commercial and retail units at Chevron House.
- Advised Shaw Kwei & Partners on the restructuring of the credit facilities advanced by UOB Bank Limited, RHB Bank Berhad, CIMB Bank Berhad and Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited to certain subsidiaries of the Singapore-listed company, Gaylin Holdings Limited.
- Advised Strategic Value Partners and its affiliates on the debt restructuring of the Norwegian-listed company and oil and gas rig operator, Dolphin Drilling ASA, and its Singapore subsidiaries.
- Advised Deutsche Bank AG, Singapore branch on approximately USD 152 million limited recourse prepayment facilities provided to Glencore International AG in respect of commodities supplied to it by Vedanta Limited.
- Advised DBS Bank Limited on its participation in a USD 1.4 billion limited recourse prepayment financing provided in connection with the supply of petroleum products by Reliance Industries Limited.
- Advised OCBC Bank Limited and other lenders in a USD 450 million term loan and working capital facilities to PT ABM Investama Tbk., a leading energy resources, energy services and energy infrastructure company listed on the Jakarta Stock Exchange.
- Advised Goldbell Evolution Network (GEN) Pte. Ltd. on its peer-to-peer online lending platform, which makes available credit facilities to small and medium enterprises. The platform provides for participations in existing loans and participations by the affiliate of the platform operator, GEN, which is the first such feature for platform-based lending in the Singapore market.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Singapore - Member
- Singapore Academy of Law - Member
- Singapore (2007)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M., Distinction) (2013)
- National University of Singapore (LL.B., Honours Second Class Upper, Deans List) (2004)
- Bahasa Malaysia
Baker & McKenzie Wong & Leow is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.