Eddie focuses his practice as an advocate and regularly appears in Court proceedings. He is also focused on international and domestic arbitration whereby he has represented a number of multinational companies in disputes administered by the AIAC (previously known as KLRCA), SIAC and ICC rules.
On the compliance front, he regularly advise and assist domestic and multinational corporations on a broad range of risk-related issues in compliance with both local and foreign authorities. He has assisted and represented major corporations on external investigations by the Department of Justice and Securities Exchange Commission, the United Kingdom Serious Fraud Office, Singapore Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau as well as the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission Agency. He has also advised relevant stakeholders on the legal remedies upon discovery of fraud or corruption.
Due to the nature of his compliance work, Eddie represents major corporations in pursuing claims against ex-senior management for losses and fraud committed on the company. He has also successfully defended many major corporations for claims by ex-senior management for wrongful dismissal and regularly appears in the Industrial Court.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted numerous clients comprising of public listed companies, family-owned conglomerates, medium enterprises and multinational companies operating in Malaysia to conduct risk assessments and implementation of anti-bribery system in compliance with S17A of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission Act 2009. These clients stem from a wide range of industries including oil and gas, telecommunications, construction, gaming, investment holdings, manufacturing as well as fast moving consumer goods.
- Secured a landmark decision in a civil action by a Malaysian based IT solutions company against its ex-employees for copyright and software architecture infringement, breach of confidence, breach of fiduciary duties, conspiracy and unlawful interference of trade.
- Assisted a software provider in Malaysia on a cybersecurity-related employee fraud case. This matter involved the obtaining of a discovery order to seize all electronic devices belonging to former employees as part of a claim for copyright infringement and misuse of confidential information.
- Assisted a leading advertising agency in a defamation suit filed against a local filmmaker in connection with claims of copyright infringement involving a short film advertisement that was nominated for best script writing in the prestigious Cannes Lions Festival.
- Represented a leading rubber glove manufacturer to defend claims by a contractor for the construction of its manufacturing plant which spans over 50 acres of land. In dismissing the contractor's claim, the Court of Appeal also granted damages amounting to millions to the client for overpayment.
- Represented the majority shareholders of Korean conglomerates at the High Court and the Court of Appeal to defeat a claim by a local shareholder owned by a prominent Malaysian for alleged minority oppression.
- Represented a global oil and gas technology provider at the High Court and Court of Appeal to defeat claims by its JV partner for alleged breaches of fiduciary duties and shareholders obligations. In related proceedings, Mr. Chuah also secured a Court judgment for millions and appointed a liquidator of the client's choice for the unsuccessful solvent JV company.
- Represented a subsidiary of a global telecommunications company to defend claims of allegations of illegal financing arrangements in supply of IT hardware and services.
- Successfully represented a leading global engineering firm to defend claims by multitudes of employees and union claims for alleged unfair labour practice.
- Represented a chartered accountant and liquidator in a contested liquidation and winding up of a company, which has cross-shareholding in two other local companies, on grounds of malfeasance by the previous directors, who were also majority contributories.
- Represented a Dutch financial institution in its claim against an Indonesian airline company pertaining to the client’s claim for unpaid charter and other related accruals due and payable to the client and the arrest and possession of the aircraft from the Indonesian airline company in Malaysia.
- Represented a Japanese telecommunications company in a USD 100 million ICC arbitration against a local conglomerate for breach of a share subscription agreement.
- Represented an oil and gas pipeline construction company in a SIAC arbitration against the main contractor for standby and other claims amounting to more than USD 20 million.
- Represented a multinational software company in its internal investigations for breach of company policies which may violate local anti-corruption laws.
- Malaysia (2008)