Shusmita Chowdhury is a Partner in Baker McKenzie's Transactional Practice Group, based in New York.
Shusmita regularly advises sponsors on all matters related to the formation and ongoing operations of a range of fund products and also regularly advises sovereign wealth funds, pension funds and other institutional investors on all matters related to their investments in private funds; including traditional private equity buyout funds, real estate funds, infrastructure and hedge funds, secondary transactions and customized investment vehicles such as funds-of-one, co-investments and other special purpose vehicles.
Shusmita advises clients on all matters related to the formation and ongoing operation of their products and firms, including drafting and negotiating documentation, developing policies and procedures, conducting legal due diligence, structuring general partner and incentive allocation entitlements, and developing and executing strategies for buyers and sellers of general partner and carry interests.
Shusmita uses her previous experience of having worked in-house at a [Swiss] private equity firm to provide pragmatic, business-focused and operationally sensitive counsel to her clients.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented one of the world’s largest sovereign wealth funds in connection with the acquisition of general partner interests of a top five global private equity fund manager
- Advised a New York-based ETFs manager, Global X, in connection with their sales to JPMorgan and Mirae Asset Global
- Represented one of the world’s largest sovereign wealth funds in connection with the negotiation of a USD 3.5 billion evergreen core private equity fund-of-one
Prior to joining the Firm, Shusmita advised on the following matters:
- Advised real estate manager in relation to a USD 300 million joint venture focused on manufactured housing.
- Managed registration of investment adviser of foreign infrastructure manager with over USD 20 billion AUM and assisted with establishment of client’s first U.S. office.
- New York~United States (2013)
- New South Wales~Australia (2008)
- University of Sydney (LL.B.) (2007)
- University of Sydney (B.A.) (2005)