Jens's practice focuses on private investment funds and he has over five years of experience in advising fund managers on the establishment of closed-end funds and private investment vehicles, covering a broad range of asset classes (venture capital, private equity, real estate and others) and structures (clubs, blind pool funds, joint ventures, separate accounts and other arrangements). He regularly works on multijurisdictional tax issues (such as US ECI and CAI) and regulatory issues (such as global fund marketing and the AIFMD regime).
Jens also represents government, institutional and corporate investors on their fund investments and co-investments, and counsel sponsors on various matters relating to their businesses, including the establishment of fund managers, structuring of joint ventures, sponsor operating and shareholder agreements, and carried interest planning. He also advises startups and venture capital investors, and has given multiple workshops and talks on venture capital programs and investments.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised ESR on the formation of ESR Co-Investment Pan-APAC Fund, an Asia Pacific focused logistics development fund.
- Advised Vickers Venture Partners on the formation of Vickers Venture Fund VI, a global venture capital fund with an opportunistic sector and stage agnostic investment strategy, which included the establishment of a fully AIFMD-compliant Luxembourg-based parallel fund for investors in the European Union, a separate parallel fund structured for US benefit plan investors and an innovative co-investment platform.
- Advised Vickers Venture Partners on the formation and operation of Vickers Venture Fund V (an Asia Pacific and US focused venture capital fund) and various co-investment platforms and structures, as well as other legal and regulatory compliance matters.
- Advised Godrej Fund Management on the formation of its various India focused real estate funds including GBTC I and GBTC II (two build-to-core office investment platforms), GRIP II (a residential development fund) and Godrej Office Fund I (a core and core-plus office fund).
- Advised a leading real estate manager on the formation of a real estate fund focused on data centre development projects in Asia Pacific.
- Advised Vertex Ventures on the formation of multiple venture capital funds managed by the venture capital arm of Temasek, including Vertex Ventures SEA Funds III and IV (two Southeast Asia and India focused venture capital funds), Vertex Growth Funds I and II (two venture capital fund focused on growth-stage investments in mature startups), Vertex Master Fund II (a fund-of-funds focused on anchor investments into venture capital funds) and Vertex Global Healthcare Fund I (a healthcare focused venture capital fund).
- Advised Eastbridge Partners on the formation of Eastbridge Fund III (an Asia-focused private equity fund), the formation of Jabreen Eastbridge SEA Fund (a mid-cap Southeast Asia focused private equity fund which comprises conventional and Shariah-compliant parallel funds) and the establishment of a joint venture fund management platform with OMINVEST.
- Advised ARDIAN and Adams Street Partners on fund investments made by their fund-of-funds and separate account structures into private funds covering a range of different asset classes, including buyout, growth capital, venture capital and infrastructure funds.
- Advised various institutional and corporate investors on their fund investments, including Kumpulan Wang Persaraan (the Malaysian pension fund), multiple Asian sovereign wealth funds, Eastspring Investments (the Singapore asset management arm of Prudential), the endowment fund of the Singapore Institute of Technology, and the Olayan Group.
- Advised the corporate venture capital arms of various Asian conglomerates and financial institutions on their fund and direct venture capital investments, including PTT Public Company, Petronas, Siam Commercial Bank, Kasikornbank, and Siam Cement Group.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Singapore - Member
- Singapore Academy of Law - Member
- Singapore (2015)
- Singapore Management University (LLB, summa cum laude) (2014)