Manuel Antonio Calderón Niño
Manuel Calderon is a partner and head of labor litigation in Baker McKenzie's Mexico office. He joined the Firm in 2002 and became a partner in 2012.
Manuel has extensive experience in complex individual and collective litigation, call-to-strike procedures, employment advice including restructuring and compensation, substitution of employers, collective and individual labor terminations, stock option plans and high-level advice.
He is highly experienced in managing top-level employee terminations and litigations. He has worked extensively advising companies on collective bargaining agreements, legalization and all the new mandatory procedures vis a vis the compliance of the FLL and the new regulations of the USMCA, union-related issues, transfers of executives, joint liability, supply chain, benefits and labor concerns. Manuel has represented companies in several collective and individual procedures including negotiations from start to finish with huge success. He also advises clients on trading topics, human rights, compliance and ethical guidelines, code of conduct, profit sharing, incentive plans, expats and executive compensation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully managed complex individual litigation with major global companies such as Siemens, Invenergy and subsidiaries in Mexico, SAP, Hamilton Beach, Hasbro, Grupo Calorex, Ingersoll Rand, Mars, Starbucks, Grupo Ballieres, American Express, Jaffra Cosmetics, Verifon, Fedex, Kansas City Southern Lines and DHL.
- Participated in collective conflicts with Pepsico, Aeromexico, Motor Coach and a major multinational financial services corporation.
- Assisted clients such as Scribe, Laboratorio Medico Polanco, Grupo Condumex, Enesa, Grupo Nacional Provincial, Betterware, Grupo Costa Baja, Concord and American Express in collective negotiations.
- Participated in the compliance of the new regulations of the FLL and USMCA in collective matters and as legal adviser in several consultations in the annual reviews of collective bargaining agreements.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Corporate Attorneys (ANADE) - Member
- American Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Ilustre y Nacional Colegio de Abogados - Member
- Mexico (1995)
- Oxford University (English Law) (2016)
- Universidad Tecnologica de Mexico (Bachelor's Degree) (1995)
- UNAM (Annual seminars legal labor trending topics)
- Author, “Consequences of Non Submission to the Arbitration of the Labor Board,” May 2013
- Author, “Consequences of Non Submission to the Arbitration of the Labor Board,” December 2012
- Speaker, "The New Legal Processes in the Labor Area," Baker McKenzie Mexico, 2012
- Speaker, Labor Seminar, Baker McKenzie Mexico, 2012, 2014, 2019 and 2020
- Speaker in relevant topics at UNAM