Mazen advises on all aspects of banking and finance law including Islamic finance, structured finance, securitisation, private equity, financial structuring and restructuring, cross-border transactions and investment funds. He is also experienced in domestic and international arbitration and is a qualified banker. He advises several governmental ministries and governmental agencies on all aspects of financial laws and regulations. He frequently conducts training for corporate in-house teams on banking and finance law and regulation in the UAE.
Representative Legal Matters
- Drafting the twin-peaks legislation and associated legislation in relation to financial regulators for the benefit of the UAE federal government.
- Advising the IFC on drafting the law on movables security for the benefit of the UAE government.
- Supervised, structured and drafted a USD 60 million Islamic bridge financing involving a major Islamic bank in the UAE.
- Acted as lead legal adviser on the IPO of an Islamic insurance company.
- Worked on the acquisition by LGT of the Private Banking Business of ABN AMRO in Dubai in a deal worth USD 20 billion.
- Advising several local and international Financial Institutions before the DFSA Enforcement Department in relation to investigations conducted by the DFSA.
- Drafting the Financial Leasing Law for the benefit of the Ministry of Finance.
- Advised several UAE banks on their online and mobile banking applications.
- Working on the digital payment regulations for the Central Bank of UAE.
- Refinancing of a district cooling plant in an amount of C.1 billion Dirhams using an Ijarah structure.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Beirut Bar Association - Member
- Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment - Associate
- Mudara-Institute of Directors - Member
- Loan Market Association - Member
- Securities Industry Management Association (SIMA) - Member
- Hawkamah Institute of Corporate Governance - Member
- Lebanon (1997)
- Dubai - Registered Legal Consultant
- Mudara-Institute of Directors, UAE (2012)
- Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment, UK (2010)
- Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment, UK (2007)
- St. Joseph University of Beirut (1996)
- University of Paris II (1994)