Ali is well experienced in investment fund formation, particularly in private equity funds, real estate funds, debt funds (including mezzanine and distressed), emerging market funds and infrastructure funds. He also regularly provide advice in challenging circumstances such as removal of general partners, sponsor insolvency, limited partner defaults or early termination events.
Ali is the representative of Baker McKenzie Luxembourg within Baker McKenzie EMEA Chinese Desk and is an active member of the China-Luxembourg Chamber of Commerce (CHINALUX).
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Invesco Real Estate, a leading European real estate fund manager, in structuring and financing the acquisition of Capital 8 office complex in Paris (from the Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield commercial real estate group). Transaction value : EUR 800 million.
- Assisted Diligent Capital Partners, a mid-market private equity firm, for the formation of a Luxembourg private equity fund vehicle targeting Ukrainian business opportunities and sourcing financing from the Dutch development bank FM (Link)
- Advised Apax, a French private equity firm on the establishment and the launch of a Luxembourg private equity fund investing mainly in unlisted companies, including leveraged buyouts, in the EU. This new product was the tenth of several private equity co-investment entities with a targeted AuM of EUR 1.6 billion.
- Advised a leading Spanish private equity firm with the establishment and critically the fund raising of several investment funds, focusing on privately negotiated equity or equity-related securities of technology-enabled start-up companies.
- Assisted a property management company with the creation of an open-ended, SCA-RAIF platform with several compartments. The first compartment is a credit loan fund in close cooperation with a UK credit manager.
- Advised leading asset and fund managers on legal and regulatory aspects in the framework of structuring a Luxembourg real estate fund for a pan-European investment in sustainable commercial real estate (high environmental quality).
- Advised a leading provider of global investment management and advisory services in relation to acquisitions of prime commercial UK real estate through a Luxembourg holding structures by a number of their clients.
- Secondment at BNP Paribas Real Estate where he assisted with the acquisition of real estate assets and advised on AIFMD issues.
- Advised a leading asset manager on the constitution of a branch, represented the client before the CSSF and advised him on the set-up and the governance of its French branch.
- Carried out several due diligences on fund documentations and led negotiations on side letters on behalf of several prestigious investors.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Luxembourg (2011)
- University of Liverpool (LLM International Business Law) (2010)
- University of Toulouse (Master in Business Law) (2008)