Sorachon Boonsong is highly regarded for serving multinational clients in a broad range of commercial transactions involving mergers and acquisitions, insurance company mergers and acquisitions, power projects, as well as oil, gas and petrochemicals matters. He also heads the real estate, hotel/resort and property development team, as well as the insurance practice group. Sorachon joined Baker McKenzie in 1991 and became a partner in 2001. Under his stewardship, the Corporate/M&A, Real Estate, and Insurance practice groups of Baker & McKenzie Bangkok have all achieved Band 1 ranking from Chambers Asia Pacific. Sorachon is also recognized as a Band 1 individual lawyer for all three practice areas.
Mr. Boonsong leads legal due diligence investigations, and structures various forms of mergers and acquisitions on behalf of financial institutions, investment banks, and insurance, food and beverage, manufacturing and power companies. He advises on the planning and execution of corporate and contractual joint ventures and strategic alliances, and is actively involved in various types of joint venture arrangements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised client in the establishment of the first publicly listed Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) in Thailand.
- Acted for a major Australian financial institution in its acquisition of a Thai securities company and joint venture with a major Thai bank.
- Advised the first successful amalgamation of insurance companies in Thailand.
- Provided legal advice with respect to real estate developments and acquisitions, including acting for a number of hotel, condominium and mixed use project developers.
- Provided advice to multinational companies on foreign investment in Thailand, including on the Foreign Business Act, Board of Investment promotions, incentives provided via the Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand, and registration and licensing requirements.
- Advised on a broad range of commercial contracts and regulatory issues, including sale and purchase, supply, distribution, management and agency contracts.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Thai Bar Association
- Law Society of Thailand
- Capital Markets Academy (Class 7)
- Thailand (1992)
- Cambridge University (LL.M.) (1997)
- Bristol University (LL.M.) (1994)
- Thammasat University (LL.B.) (1991)