Luca Beffa is the Head of the Firm's Dispute Resolution Group in Geneva. He has extensive experience in international arbitration matters, regularly acting as counsel and arbitrator. He also handles litigation matters with a particular focus on commercial, banking, M&A, healthcare and cross-border transactions, as well as sports law.
Luca is on the list of arbitrators of ICC Switzerland and of the LCIA, and is recommended as expert and "Future Leader" in both international arbitration and litigation by Who's Who Legal. He sits on the Marketing Committee of the Swiss Arbitration Association and on the ADR Commission of the Geneva Bar Association.
Luca is well versed in complex international arbitration matters. He has acted as counsel in numerous ICC, Swiss Rules, UNCITRAL and CAS arbitration matters, as well as in related proceedings before Swiss ordinary courts and the Swiss Federal Tribunal. He also regularly acts as arbitrator and mediator. Furthermore, Luca regularly assists clients in all kinds of litigation matters, with a particular focus on commercial, banking, M&A, healthcare and cross-border transactions, as well as in sports related matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a Swiss bank in post-M&A ICC arbitration proceedings in connection with USD 80 million claims against a Dutch bank.
- Represented a Swiss bank against its client in a Swiss Rules arbitration related to swap transactions.
- Represented a major oil trading group in ICC arbitration proceedings worth USD 70 million.
- Represented the Italian subsidiary of a market-leading global information services and publishing company against a French publishing company in ICC arbitration proceedings related to a joint venture agreement.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical company in ICC arbitration proceedings against its distributor in Egypt.
- Representing a multinational inspection, product testing and certification company in multimillion litigation proceedings against a major oil trading company.
- Representing a Swiss bank in litigation proceedings against a Panama-based company for alleged mismanagement of a portfolio.
- Representing a German bank in litigation proceedings against an institutional client of the bank in relation to a CHF 100 million loan.
- Representing an international organization in several litigation proceedings against one of its member associations.
- Represented the directors of an oil trading company in multimillion liability proceedings related to the company's bankruptcy
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Arbitration Association - Member of the Marketing Committee
- Geneva Bar Association - Member of the ADR Commission
- Swiss Sports Law Association - Member
- Geneva~Switzerland (2005)
- Institute for European Studies in Brussels (LL.M.) (2002)
- University of Fribourg (2001)
- New York
Author, "Arts. 1-5 WIPO Rules," Arbitration in Switzerland - The Practitioner's Guide, M. Arroyo (ed.), 2nd ed., 2018, p. 1749-1766
Author, "CAS 2016/A/4474 Michel Platini v. Fédération Internationale de Football Association, Award of 9 May 2016," Yearbook of International Sports Arbitration 2016, A. Duval and A. Rigozzi (eds.), p. 299-316
Co-author, "Review of the 2016 Case Law of the Swiss Federal Tribunal concerning Sports Arbitration," Causa Sport, Vol. 4, 2017
Speaker, "Efficiency and Costs in International Arbitration: A practicum," Young ICCA and CEA-40 workshop, Madrid, 22 September 2017
Speaker, "Review of the Recent Case Law of the Swiss Federal Supreme Court," New Developments in International Commercial Arbitration, Neuchâtel, 13 November 2015