Luca Beffa is the co-head of the Firm's Dispute Resolution Group in Geneva. He has extensive knowledge of international arbitration matters, regularly acting as counsel and arbitrator. He also advises on commercial, banking and M&A litigation, as well as sports law.
Luca is on the list of arbitrators of ICC Switzerland and of the LCIA, and is recognized by Who's Who Legal as "Future Leader" in international arbitration. He sits on the Marketing Committee of the Swiss Arbitration Association and on the ADR Commission of the Geneva Bar Association.
Luca is well versed in complex international arbitration matters. He has acted as counsel in numerous ICC, Swiss Rules, UNCITRAL and CAS arbitration matters, as well as in related proceedings before Swiss ordinary courts and the Swiss Federal Tribunal. He also regularly acts as arbitrator and mediator, and assists clients in litigation involving among others commercial, banking, M&A, healthcare and cross-border transactions, as well as in sports related matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a Swiss bank in post-M&A ICC arbitration proceedings in connection with USD 80 million claims against a Dutch bank.
- Represented a Swiss bank against its client in a Swiss Rules arbitration related to swap transactions.
- Represented a major oil trading group in ICC arbitration proceedings worth USD 70 million.
- Represented the Italian subsidiary of a market-leading global information services and publishing company against a French publishing company in ICC arbitration proceedings related to a joint venture agreement.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical company in ICC arbitration proceedings against its distributor in Egypt.
- Represented a US supplier of explosive and narcotics detection systems in ICC arbitration proceedings against an Israeli security company.
- Represented a world-class top model against a Swiss model management company in ICC arbitration proceedings for breach of contract and invalid termination.
- Represented a leading Austrian group in the solar sector in a multimillion claim arising out of the breach by the seller of a contract concerning solar equipment and services.
- Represented a leading international tobacco group in arbitration before the Swiss Chambers of Commerce for multimillion claims arising out of the breach by the seller of reps and warranties in a share purchase agreement.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Arbitration Association - Member of the Marketing Committee
- Geneva Bar Association - Member of the ADR Commission
- Swiss Sports Law Association - Member
- Geneva~Switzerland (2005)
- Institute for European Studies in Brussels (LL.M.) (2002)
- University of Fribourg (2001)
- New York