Mark advises clients in three broad areas:
- Investigations & regulatory enforcement: Mark advises clients on the management of internal and external investigations and regulatory enforcement proceedings. Mark has particular experience advising clients on the mitigation of risk under bribery & corruption, fraud and money laundering laws.
- Commercial litigation: Mark acts for clients on a broad range of complex and high value commercial litigation, particularly in the financial services sector.
- Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG): Mark advises clients on sustainability, governance, ethics and human rights considerations, particularly in connection with the rollout of corporate compliance programmes and corporate due diligence exercises.
Mark has a focus on the Financial Institutions and Energy, Mining & Infrastructure industry sectors, and he has undertaken secondments in the litigation and regulatory enforcement teams at two global banks.
Representative Legal Matters
Investigations & regulatory enforcement
- Acting for a global extractives company in relation to an investigation into alleged bribery and corruption involving engagement with the Serious Fraud Office, U.S. Department of Justice, Securities & Exchange Commission and Australian Securities and Investments Commission.
- Acting for the former managing director of a defence contractor in relation to high profile criminal proceedings brought by the Serious Fraud Office on charges of corruption and misconduct in public office.
- Representing a Fortune 500 company in relation to an investigation by the Serious Fraud Office into alleged bribery and corruption in a recently acquired subsidiary.
- Acting for a Middle East-based transportation company in relation to an internal investigation into alleged bribery and corruption.
- Advising a global telecommunications company on its involvement in a criminal investigation into complex VAT fraud.
- Advising a partner in a global law firm in relation to an SRA regulatory investigation into professional conduct issues.
- Representing an investment bank in relation to a high profile Select Committee inquiry.
- Defending a global bank against a £118 million High Court claim for breach of the Quincecare duty and dishonest assistance arising out of the collapse of a Ponzi scheme.
- Acting for the receiver of a Thai bank in relation to an enforcement action against assets in England and Wales arising out of an £80 million banking fraud.
- Defending a financial services company against a £128 million unlawful means conspiracy claim in the High Court arising out of the pre-packaged administration and sale of a retail company.
- Defending a global investment bank in connection with a claim for breach of contract and negligence arising out of the fraudulent misappropriation of customer funds.
- Defending a commercial real estate firm in relation to a £750 million High Court claim for breach of an implied duty of confidence relating to a London property development.
- Acting for a high-net-worth individual in connection with a Norwich Pharmacal application brought against a payment services provider arising out of a high value fraud.
- Advising a technology company and members of its C-Suite in connection with seeking injunctive relief arising from the harassment of senior company employees by a third party.
- Acting for British Airways in injunctive relief proceedings in relation to the company's high profile dispute with cabin crew over strike action.
ESG compliance & advisory
- Advising a number of companies in relation to their obligations under the Modern Slavery Act 2015.
- Acting in collaboration with Nokia on a project for Asylum Access and Host International relating to refugees' right to work. The project won the Collaboration Award at the TrustLaw Awards 2019.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2015)
- College of Law (Legal Practice Course) (2012)
- College of Law (Graduate Diploma in Law) (2011)
- Oxford University (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) (2010)