Jorge Ambriz Cuevas is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie’s Foreign Trade and Customs Practice Group in Juarez. Prior to joining the Firm, he was an associate and later an acting director in the trade and customs group of a prominent law firm in Mexico. He was also a manager and later senior manager in a Big Four accounting firm’s trade and customs practice. Mr. Ambriz Cuevas has also served as director of foreign trade and customs audit in the headquarters of Mexico’s Internal Revenue Service, and worked in the Ministry of Economy’s Trade Department.
Mr. Ambriz-Cuevas has more than 18 years of experience in trade and customs consulting and management for private and public sector organizations. A seasoned lawyer in the trade and customs field, he handles complex litigation, antidumping cases, and alternative dispute resolution, among others. He also assists clients in identifying and mitigating tax, duty and legal exposures.
Representative Legal Matters
- Implementing IMMEX program for a company with 22 locations for a leading company in the plastic industry.
- Successfully implemented a legal action plan to reduce a duty assessment issued by Mexican Customs Authorities’ derived from an audit to a mining company operating under an IMMEX program. The original assessment was USD110 million, drastically reduced to USD3 million.
- Acted as co-litigator in antidumping cases related with dinnerware originating from China.
- Facilitated Foreign Trade Committee functions for the Ministry of Finance in Mexico City for the office of Mexican large taxpayers, and participated in the Bilateral Trade Fraud Subgroup with CBP and Mexican customs.
- Represented Mexican Customs Authorities in meetings with CBP and Canada Border Services Agency officials in creating the new NAFTA Audit/Verification Manual from the ground up.
- Managed approximately 40 compliance reviews for maquiladora companies, and consulted with numerous foreign companies regarding best practices and legal trade/customs when integrating global supply chain with IMMEX operations in Mexico.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Barra Mexicana, Colegio de Abogados
- Mexican Chapter of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC Mexico) - Trade and Customs Law - former vice president
- Mexico (2006)
- Universidad Autonoma de Ciudad Juárez (Attorney Law) (2006)
- Universidad Regional del Norte, Juarez (Bachelor's Degree International Trade Law) (1997)