Matthew G. Allison advises clients with respect to complex international arbitration and litigation matters. He has substantial experience counseling foreign and domestic companies, across a variety of industries, in large, multi-jurisdictional dispute proceedings. Matthew has first-chaired matters to arbitral hearing in five of the last six years. He has arbitrated matters pursuant to ICC, AAA, ICDR, HKIAC, UNCITRAL and ad hoc rules and has appeared for clients in matters in the federal courts for the Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits. He has significant experience with complex commercial fraud, post-acquisition indemnity, and unfair competition claims, and with litigating the enforcement of forum selection and choice of law provisions. Matthew writes and lectures frequently on issues relating to international arbitration and litigation.
Matthew concentrates his practice on international and multi-jurisdictional arbitration and litigation, representing both domestic and foreign entities. He has significant experience representing Asian and European companies in both US and international dispute proceedings.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a US manufacturer and Dutch parent against multimillion dollar breach and fraud claims relating to long-term production and supply agreements in multiple AAA arbitrations.
- Represented a public UK company in ICDR prosecution of multimillion dollar breach claims relating to uranium supplier agreements.
- Represented a US investor in UNCITRAL prosecution of treaty claims against the Dominican Republic under the Central American Free Trade Agreement.
- Represented a large state-owned Chinese automobile manufacturer against billion dollar RICO, trade secret, and contract interference claims in judicial and arbitral proceedings.
- Represented a public US company in ICC arbitral prosecution of multimillion dollar breach claims relating to creation of a medical records network in Abu Dhabi.
- Represented a German manufacturer against a multimillion dollar breach and fraud claims relating to construction of ethanol plant in AAA arbitration.
- Represented a large US university in judicial defense of Iranian antiquities against FSIA attachment claims.
- Represented a US steel company in judicial prosecution of multimillion dollar RICD claims against Russian and Hong Kong vendors.
- Represented a US contractor against multimillion dollar breach claims by Iraqi subcontractor concerning construction of US defense installation in ICC arbitration.
- Represented a state-owned Chinese oil company against multimillion dollar breach claims relating to development of LNG plant in Indonesia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- American Bar Association - Litigation and Insurance Sections
- Chicago Surety Claims Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan~United States (1999)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1995)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois~United States (1995)
- Illinois~United States (1995)
- University of California - Berkeley (Boalt Hall School of Law) (J.D.) (1995)
- Dartmouth College (B.A.) (1990)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.