Matthew Allison advises clients with respect to complex international arbitration and litigation matters. He has substantial experience counseling foreign and domestic companies, across a variety of industries, in large, multijurisdictional dispute proceedings. Matt has first-chaired matters to arbitral hearing in ten of the last twelve years. He has arbitrated matters pursuant to ICC, AAA, ICDR, LCIA, HKIAC, UNCITRAL and ad hoc rules, and has appeared for clients in the federal courts for the First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits. He has significant experience with complex commercial fraud, post-acquisition indemnity, trade secret, and unfair competition claims, with investor-state disputes, and with litigating the enforcement of forum selection and choice of law provisions. Matt writes and lectures frequently on international arbitration and litigation, and has been an adjunct professor at Loyola University School of Law.
Matt concentrates his practice on international and multijurisdictional arbitration and litigation, representing both domestic and foreign entities. He has significant experience representing companies in Europe, the Middle East and Asia in both US and international dispute proceedings.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented US manufacturer and European parent in multiple AAA arbitrations against multimillion dollar breach and fraud claims relating to long-term production and supply agreements.
- Represented international private equity firm in federal litigation and ICDR arbitrations arising from the acquisition and sale of environmental consulting portfolio company.
- Represented public US company in ICC arbitral prosecution of multimillion dollar breach claims relating to creation of medical records network in Abu Dhabi.
- Represented public UK company in ICDR arbitral prosecution of multimillion dollar breach claims relating to long-term uranium supply agreements.
- Represented state-owned Chinese automobile manufacturer in federal judicial and HKIAC arbitral proceedings against billion dollar RICO, trade secret, and contract interference claims.
- Represented European entity in ICDR arbitration seeking emergency interim relief relating to long-term, multi-channel license with public US retailer.
- Represented Indian investors in UNCITRAL prosecution of bilateral investment treaty claims against Bosnia-Herzegovina relating to the privatization of insurance entities.
- Represented large UAE entity in federal litigation against multimillion dollar claims of breach and fraud relating to the aborted sale of a Pakistani telecommunications company.
- Represented US investors in UNCITRAL prosecution of CAFTA treaty claims against the Dominican Republic relating to the development of a luxury residential community.
- Represented European parent and international and domestic subsidiaries in ICDR arbitration against multimillion dollar breach and fiduciary claims relating to the ownership structure of large, undeveloped parcel of land in downtown Chicago.
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan~United States (1999)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1995)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois~United States (1995)
- Illinois~United States (1995)
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (J.D.) (1995)
- Dartmouth College (B.A., with honors) (1990)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.