Mr. Ahn's practice focuses on the development and financing of international energy and infrastructure projects representing key stakeholders, including sponsors/developers, financiers (commercial banks, export credit agencies and development banks) and contractors.
In addition, he regularly represents financial institutions and major international companies in connection with complex cross-border financing matters, including bank, structured and asset finance transactions. He also has experience on various aspects of general corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Ahn handled the following matters:
- Represented a consortium of developers led by a leading international energy developer on the development and USD 800 million project financing of the 235 MW solar power facility in Setouchi, Japan, the largest solar PV project in Japan to date.
- Represented a consortium between Korea Electric Power Company and LG CNS, Co. Ltd. in connection with their successful bid for a 60 MW solar energy project in Guam through a multi-step bidding process sponsored by the Guam public utility, including defending the bid against administrative challenges lodged by an unsuccessful bidder.
- Represented Pattern Energy Group LP on the development and project financing of the 122 MW Tsugaru wind project in Aomori Prefecture Japan, the largest wind farm in Japan to date.
- Represented Equis Biomass on the development of the 75 MW Ichihara biomass project located in Chiba prefecture Japan.
- Represented a consortium of leading Korean and Japanese companies in connection with their bid for a 140 MW geothermal power project in Kenya sponsored by a Kenyan state-owned public utility company.
- Represented a leading Japanese trading company on their participation in the Cameron LNG Project located in Hackberry Louisiana, USA.
- Represented Pattern Energy Group LP and Green Power Investment Corporation in the sale of a 222.5 MW portfolio of wind and solar projects to its YieldCo, Pattern Energy Group Inc.
- Represented export credit agencies (from Japan, Korea, France, UK, Germany and Italy) and a syndicate of commercial banks on the USD 5 billion financing of the Nghi Son Refinery and Petrochemical Complex, one of the largest oil refinery and petrochemical projects in Vietnam's history.
- Represented Korea Development Bank as the arranger and a consortium of syndicate lenders in connection with the USD 700 million financing for the acquisition by FILA Korea Ltd. of Acushnet Company, which owns and manufactures products under the Titlest and FootJoy brands with assets held in over 9 jurisdictions.
- Represented major financial institutions acting as underwriters, arrangers, sponsors, portfolio managers, credit facility providers and/or swap counterparties in a wide variety of structure finance transactions and 144A/Regulation S securities offerings (including various types of collateralized debt obligations, securitization of various types of assets and the repackaging of existing securities) including the credit support providers for a series of groundbreaking future cash flow securitizations of airline ticket sales originating out of the United States and out of Japan.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association
- New York~United States (2007)
- Cornell Law School (J.D.) (2006)
- Korea University (B.A.) (2002)