With its high speed connections, ultra-low latency and ability to transmit huge volumes of data as well as enable simultaneous connections with multiple devices, 5G is helping to drive many important new business opportunities. Used to implement and enhance multiple smart capabilities, such as asset tracking, connected shopping, smart homes and smart agriculture, 5G enables the connection of massive Internet of Things networks, allowing devices to connect to themselves and the internet.
Successful investment in 5G infrastructure
Infrastructure sales are increasingly part of the transition of traditional telecoms companies into less capital intensive business models as they free up capital to focus on their core networks. In addition, there are ever more public incentives to invest in 5G related technologies around the world and a variety of industries are looking to take advantage of such opportunities. We can help to:
- Provide specialist private equity focus and expertise
- Help to navigate complex regulatory requirements
- Share insight around ESG and sustainability guidelines to drive meaningful growth in value, including examining investment targets
- Navigate foreign investment requirements
5G and Antitrust & Competition
Regulatory authorities are increasingly making choices on how to pursue policy interest deploying competition, consumer or data privacy law. Antitrust and Competition laws and regulations are changing to keep up with developing technologies. Regulators are looking at questions around 5G infrastructure and spectrum pooling. Relationships have been moving to more complex models, with patent pooling to avoid disputes and cooperation with governments and regulators to meet multiple policy objectives.
We can help to:
- Provide a one-stop-shop for merger control clearance and the viability of foreign investment deals
- Strong relationships with regulators around the world
- Convey insight on policy trends specific to 5G and related use cases, providing clarity on actions needed to mitigate future risks
- Leverage our practical experience across a range of investigations and sectors against more frequent and better coordinated dawn raids
Protecting 5G innovation
Patent litigation is increasing in an ever-evolving digital landscape. 5G technology comprises multiple patented innovations essential to meet industry standards. Patent litigation strategies need to be global, proactive, agile and informed by local intelligence. From competition issues raised by technological standardization to the cross-over between IP and regulatory protection across sectors, it means that a broad range of legal and technical expertise is essential to develop an effective patent litigation strategy.
- Established track record in local and cross-border patent litigation
- Deep experience in the TMT industry
- Develop protection programs and advise on complex patent questions, including on patentability, validity and infringement
- Develop and execute patent litigation strategies, aligned with other IP, regulatory, competition and consumer protection strategies
Impact of privacy & Cyber Security regulation on 5G
5G networks brings huge increases in speed, low latency connections and the ability to simultaneously inter-connect thousands of devices. As a result, 5G networks collect and process ever increasing volumes of data raising key privacy issues, including around how this data is collected and processed, where it is stored and the ability to transfer it to other jurisdictions. Add to this the fact that in a number of jurisdictions 5G networks are considered critical infrastructures of specific sensitivity, leading to mandatory certification and other requirements driven by national security considerations.
- Market leading advice from regulatory compliance to cyber breach response
- Experts in designing compliance programs to protect critical business interests
- Proven track record representing companies in some of the largest cybersecurity-related incidents in the last 15 years and in advising on national security matters