At Baker McKenzie LLP, we are different in the way we think, work and behave -- like no other firm and few other businesses. With more than 4,100 locally admitted lawyers and more than 5,800 business service professionals in 78 offices worldwide, we have a passionately collaborative community of 60 nationalities and are committed to world-class career development to everyone in every job at every level in our firm. Baker McKenzie can offer you both the uncompromising commitment to excellence expected of a top firm and a distinctive way of thinking, working and behaving - as a passionately global and genuinely collaborative firm. Baker McKenzie is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Baker & McKenzie LLP seeks a Business Manager to work with our International Commercial Trade Group. The Business Manager will lead and coordinate business operations for the ICT Practice Group with the aim of driving and enhancing practice performance in line with the global practice strategy and the overall strategy of the Firm. Occasional Travel will be required within the NAO region.
Main Responsibilities of the role will include:
- Advise and support the Practice Group Leader on strategic, business and operational related topics
- Develop, update and monitor the business plan of the practice and help develop and manage budget proactively to ensure effective implementation of the Firm strategy
- Drive improvements of operational and financial performance by monitoring and analyzing key performance indicators at practice and service line level, ensuring alignment with planned targets (including cost management, working capital, staffing and margin contribution)
- Ensure cross-practice and cross-functional initiatives implementation at Practice Group level and coordinate resources from other PBS functions supporting the same Practice Group to ensure proper coverage and effective strategy execution
- Formulate and operationalize strategic initiatives leveraging our geographic, industry and client reach, with a clear view to building market presence and generating revenue
- Capture efficiency and innovation opportunities for the main service lines by leading and participating in initiatives, aligned within the global practice and with other Practice Groups
- Ensure appropriate resourcing model, headcount planning, staffing, and talent pipeline (including training and performance management) leveraging support from, and in coordination with, other Professional & Business Services (PBS) functions
- Coordinate interactions with Industry Groups making sure that go-to-market and service delivery is appropriate for clients in those sectors
- Monitor and ensure effective implementation of client and business development plans leveraging support from other PBS functions
- Coordinate internal practice group engagement activities and meetings fostering positive and open communication
- Leverage services provided by shared Service Centers and specialist functions within the PBS organization to drive excellence and efficiency
- Lead and participate in projects for the practice
Technical skills, qualifications, and experience required for the role:
- Relevant undergraduate degree required; an MBA is strongly preferred
- Good professional management experience in a global setting, ideally in a professional services environment
- Proficiency in law firm operations, legal accounting and finance
- Proficiency in using MS Office applications, including PowerPoint and advanced functions of Excel
- Understanding of the elements of law firm profitability at practice group, service line, client, matter and attorney level
- Strong business sense and good judgment in problem solving
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Effective communication at all organizational levels
- Experience with business management, including an understanding of the challenges of operating in different markets regionally
- Ability to manage multiple complex operations with continual attention to detail (including accuracy with numbers)
- Experience conducting complex qualitative and quantitative analysis, interpreting results and suggesting action plans
- Experience coordinating people in different locations and cultures
- Ability to work effectively in informal teams and collaborate cross-practice and cross-function in a global organization
Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organization, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people -- regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age -- to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.