Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organization, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are building a team to provide world-class innovative, creative and efficient business services to our Firm and clients. As an innovative hub connected with the Firm's offices globally, Baker McKenzie's Tampa Center will provide all aspects of business support for the Firm and its global clients in the areas of Alternative Legal Services, Finance, Technology, Knowledge, Operations, Business Development, Marketing and Communications, and People.
Our clients are facing more competition and challenges, which demands faster, commercially sound responses, more competitive prices, better quality, continuous innovation and higher levels of legal and business knowledge. The Tampa Center will help us continue to deliver precisely that, by centralizing many of our services in an appealing market.
The Billing Analyst will provide Billing Services to the offices of Baker McKenzie.
- Prepare invoices in accordance with Firm billing policies, guidelines and standard processes
- Prepare draft invoices, review and revise narratives in accordance with Firm standards, execute time/cost transfers and other value adjustments; finalize invoices and ensure that invoices are delivered for payment (via e-mail, post or e-billing as applicable); execute all billing tasks in accordance with established standard processes
- Identify and resolve technical issues consulting with others as appropriate and escalating issues to management on a timely basis
- Maintain and update client billing information, instructions and requirements necessary in processing invoices
- Evaluate complex situations using multiple sources of information, exercising good analytical skills as well as evaluate judgment based on the analysis of factual and qualitative information in complicated and/or novel situations
- With limited supervision, work independently to complete assigned tasks and work responsibilities in order to meet agreed objectives; consider the impact of recommendations when making decisions or resolving problems
- Exchange ideas and information effectively in a concise and logical way, and be sensitive to audience diversity
- Exercise required degree of tact and diplomacy when dealing with others and in handling sensitive issues
- Perform other Skills and Experience: duties as may be assigned
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in business administration, commerce, finance, liberal arts, or related courses
- Prior experience in a billing role
- General understanding of accounting or finance principles as well as the specific law firm or professional service accounting structure, environment and requirements
- Knowledge and experience of financial systems (SAP preferred but not required)
- Good working knowledge of MS Office applications (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Keen attention to details and effective organizational skills
- Excellent English communication skills (verbal and written)
- Have confidence to escalate and ask questions, especially when being asked to deviate from standard processes.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks to meet deadlines
- Ability to perform at high levels in a fast paced ever-changing work environment and successfully adapt to changing priorities and work demands, including learning new skills when required
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to anticipate work needs and follow through with minimum direction, follow up on own initiative