The Lead Knowledge Lawyer for International Commercial & Trade will manage and execute legal content projects, training and knowledge initiatives for the Group within the context of the Firm's knowledge strategy.
About the Group:
The International and Commercial and Trade (IC&T) Group includes both traditional practice group legal advisors and industry focused legal advisors, which allow us to provide highly specialized legal expertise across all critical elements of international commercial and trade. The Group has robust synergies with other practice areas, which are important to tackle complex issues at the intersection of customs and trade compliance, M&A, tax and intellectual property. The Group focuses on the life cycle of products and services by proactively identifying and addressing legal and regulatory issues in all phases of the supply chain from structuring, design, procurement and manufacturing through to cross-border trade, ending with advertising, sales and after-market issues in the local markets. The Group provides regular on-going support on a wide range of commercial and legal issues and the primary focus of the practice is sanctions, export controls and customs matters. The Group is spread across the Baker McKenzie global footprint and because the nature of the practice is international and cross-border, the team is integrated and already works together at a high performing level.
To make first-class knowledge easily available to lawyers, increasing the quality, consistency and/or cost-effectiveness of the advice that the Firm gives its clients, including:
Knowledge and Expertise
- Precedents. Review, draft, develop and automate the most complex of the Group's precedents and other legal content
- Current awareness and commercial/industry know-how. Deeply understand clients' industries and businesses and use that knowledge to optimize opportunities for knowhow creation, current awareness updates including client alerts and connecting business and industry knowledge relating to the Group to broader Firm initiatives. Monitor and spot forward-looking Group issues and trends and translate their legal impact to clients and lawyers in a commercial way. Possess a fundamental understanding of the work performed by the Firm's other practice and industry groups in order to connect their work to the Group and vice versa. Enhance internal awareness of Group-specific issues and equip lawyers to talk about them irrespective of their practice group
- Lawyer requests. Be a sounding board and trusted advisor to lawyers on complex legal issues and devise systems for capturing and analyzing lawyer enquiries in order to produce knowhow to address gaps
- Know-how development. Devise and implement a strategy to ensure that know-how is comprehensive and up to date across the Group. Ensure that know-how best practices are being followed throughout the Group and contribute to developing them
- Training. Devise a training plan linked to the Group's business strategy and identify opportunities for using different media and collaborate with the Learning and Development team. Link the Group's training program to broader Firm training initiatives
- Client-facing knowledge. Set the agenda for thought leadership campaigns after discussion with key stakeholders and alignment with the Group's strategy, advocating industry-focused analysis, not just “news." Create processes to ensure timely and relevant horizon scanning products are created across the Group. Identify ways to structure work and work output to produce tangible products, including training, for lawyers and clients
- Policy initiatives and capacity-building. Work with the Group on policy initiatives and lobbying, including offering training and knowledge sharing sessions, responding to consultations and generally maintaining good channels for dialogue with political and governmental individuals and bodies.
- Relationships. Promote an integrated, "one global team" mind-set among the team and implement and influence the knowledge culture throughout the Group. Establish and nurture long-term relationships with key decision-makers across the Firm to help achieve results and coach and facilitate the building and establishment of long-term relationships by members of their team. Ensure that Knowledge work for the Group is recognized and rewarded. Connect the Group work with the work of Knowledge Lawyers in other practice and industry groups for wider benefit
- Operations and innovation. Redefine the Group's Knowledge services and best practices and promote them among lawyers in the Group. Promote an innovative and quality-focused mind-set and challenge the team to consider how to deliver services more effectively and efficiently. Promote greater use of offshore Centers, integrated use of project managers and other technology tools to manage costs and improve efficiency in the Group
- Systems. Act as an internal champion for Knowledge systems, ensuring the engagement of all lawyers in the Group. Identify and implement Knowledge system changes (technological and behavioural) needed in order better to deliver legal content
- Strategy, alignment and integration. Build and implement a comprehensive global Knowledge Plan for the Group. Align the Group's Knowledge Plan with its business plan, the Firm's strategic framework, the Knowledge strategy and the Industry Groups strategy. Create a single joint community among fee-earning lawyers, Knowledge Lawyers and other Knowledge and business professionals within the Group and across countries and regions. Emphasize and illustrate the cross-practice group nature and impact of Group knowhow
- Law degree
- Current license to practice law (or eligibility for one)
- Extensive post-qualification experience as a practicing lawyer with direct involvement in the international commercial and trade advisory area
- Excellent English language skills (verbal and written) and the confidence to communicate in a multi-cultural, multi-level environment
- Experience working directly with senior counterparts on strategy and execution
- Excellent time management and organizing skills; ability to prioritise and manage time to meet deadlines
- Strong word processing and spreadsheet skills
- Experience in or willingness to learn document automation and other legal tech