As a legal secretary you will provide administrative assistance to attorneys in the management/administration of their practice within the Intellectual Property group.
- Prepare attorney correspondence, and other documents as requested.
- Manage and open new client matters in an effective and efficient manner.
- Manage attorney calendars and schedules.
- Enter and revise attorneys time in time entry system (DTE Axiom).
- Handle tasks associated with the management of client bills and invoices.
- Schedule and organize complex activities such as meetings, travel, and seminars.
- Maintain and update filing system for the attorneys.
- Retrieve and update information from files when needed.
- Organize, prioritize, and manage large volumes of email and phone calls.
- Respond to regularly occurring requests for information.
- Proofread documents for spelling and grammar making appropriate changes.
- Complete check requests and expense reports as requested.
- General office duties, which may include, copying, filing, processing incoming and outgoing mail/email, client and counsel telephone contact.
- Volunteer to assist others in practice group and office.
- Share information and expertise readily with staff members at all levels.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Bachelor degree or secretarial certificate preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years secretarial/administrative work experience required in a legal or professional services environment. Experience working with attorneys in a law firm environment preferred.
- Must have intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint. Advance knowledge preferred.
- Work requires continual attention to detail in composing, typing and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Must have good command of the English language, both oral and written. Excellent spelling and grammar skills a must.
- Must have excellent communication, customer service and interpersonal skills to interact with partners, associates, staff and clients.
- Proficiency in using a time entry system (i.e., DTE) required.
- Analytical ability is required in order to find solutions to various administrative problems and prioritize work.
- Ability to think and react proactively to multiple situations to assist a busy practice group.
- Must be able to work independently, exhibit professionalism and work in a team-oriented environment.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Must demonstrate high degree of responsibility and dedication.
- Must work harmoniously in a team environment and foster team spirit.
- Must be flexible for overtime.
- Timely attendance required.