At Baker & McKenzie LLP, we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other firm and few other businesses. With more than 4,400 locally admitted lawyers and more than 5,800 business service professionals in 77 offices worldwide, we have a passionately collaborative community of 60 nationalities and are committed to world-class career development to everyone in every job at every level. Baker & McKenzie can offer you both the uncompromising commitment to excellence expected of a top firm and a distinctive way of thinking, working and behaving - as a passionately global and genuinely collaborative firm.
The Chicago office of Baker & McKenzie LLP seeks an Immigration Paralegal who will be responsible for providing support to attorneys in the Global Migration and Executive Transfers group in the preparation and management/administration of immigration filings for corporate clients.
- Extensive responsibility for preparation of accurate US submissions, including processing large volume cases including H-1B, TN, L-1A, L-1B, O and other relevant applications.
- Perform legal assignments under supervision of an attorney or case manager.
- Compile data for preparation of employment-based, immigrant-related filings.
- Support attorneys and local counsel in coordination of Global Business Immigration cases including jurisdictions such as Australia, United Kingdom, India, and UAE among others.
- Assist with initial client intake to obtain relevant case information.
- Assist attorney/case manager with evaluating case issues and case strategy.
- Investigate, compile and digest facts of the case, i.e. arrange for outside interpreter if necessary; locate, obtain and preserve client documentation; review and organize client documentation; and analyze and summarize all data.
- Prepare appropriate forms regarding client matters before the Departments of State, Homeland Security and Labor.
- Draft correspondence to clients with support of attorneys/case managers.
- Assist client with assembling documentation, completion of forms, case status, etc.
- Review files on a regular basis, consult with attorney and prepare regular status reports to client.
- Maintain and update files and databases for clients, tracking multiple deadlines for employer clients.
- Timely and regular attendance and flexibility to work overtime to assist with client needs and meet pending submission deadlines.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Paralegal Certificate preferred.
- A minimum of three (3)- five (5) years of experience in US and/or Global Business Immigration field, with law firm experience preferred.
- Must have exceptional communication skills, both oral and written.
- Must be able to interact and communicate with individuals at all levels of the Firm.
- Must have solid knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint, INSZoom Immigration database software, and extranet administration.
- Work requires continual attention to detail in composing, typing and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Must demonstrate high degree of responsibility and dedication.