Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organization, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people -regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age - to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.
The Finance Manager, Revenue will lead the team of Revenue Business Partners in Chicago with the aim of driving and supporting the agreed process. The Chicago Revenue process is heavily focused on obtaining and validating information needed for the accurate and timely processing of transactions in the Centers and in providing support to lawyers and other in-market personnel in navigating the globally and regionally agreed process.
- Manage and coach the in-market team of Revenue Business Partners across the revenue process including client and matter intake, collection of financial terms (including pricing terms, payment terms, budgets, and accruals), verification of correct tax treatments (where applicable) and billing plans, as well as escalations for collection issues
- On a limited basis, serve as the in-market point of contact for the revenue process from upfront reviewing and recording of matter financial terms through coordination of collections disputes. This includes validating information needed for the accurate and timely processing of transactions in the Centers and in providing support to lawyers and other in-market personnel in navigating the revenue process
- Ensure Firm initiatives are implemented and supported as agreed. Work with Global Process Owners and functional managers to identify and implement continuous improvements including adapting to changes in local regulatory requirements
- Ensure all team members are proficient and provide ongoing support, training, and coaching as necessary. Identify training gaps and opportunities for Partners and lawyers in relation to their roles within the processes as necessary
- Act as escalation point and lead issue resolution and problem solving for complex issues. Address process and people issues as they arise; coordinate as needed with Center personnel or Q2C Service Owners and Center leadership to resolve process or capacity issues
- Support the leadership on Firm wide initiatives including annual and ad-hoc projects Success factors
- Promote and lead team proficiency in agreed Q2C systems and tools within 3 months of appointment. Proficiency to be demonstrated through measurement to agreed standards
- Work with leadership to set and achieve inventory management targets. Targets to be agreed by billing category, client, and/or practice group
- Collaborate constructively with stakeholders and PBS teammates. Engagement effectiveness to be measured by feedback from Billing Partners and Center leader
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience focusing on financial management, accounting or other related areas. (a Masters in Business Administration - with a specialization in Finance - or a CA/CFA is a plus)
- Significant relevant Finance experience. Experience in Finance Operations and/ or Finance Shared Services in a professional services organization a plus
- Leadership capacity to resolve complex problems within a cross-functional environment
- Proven ability to influence, interact and consult with senior leaders regarding finance processes, guidelines and compliances
- Demonstrated expertise in operational efficiency and financial accounting. Strong in project management and systemic thinking
- Ability to network and collaborate with teams both regional and global, while acknowledging their cultural, social and academic diversity
- Working proficiency in using MS Office and other Productivity Tools