This is an exciting opportunity for the new Associate Director of North American region to take ownership in developing internal and external communications strategies and implementing related activities. The North American region of the Firm includes: Canada, Mexico and the United States. This individual will provide communications advice and support to North America management, which includes the , the managing Partner, the Chair and other global board representative based in North America, the Regional Operating Officer and regional practice/industry group leaders. You will collaborate with shared Business Development, Marketing and Communications resources in the region, with the support of four full-time direct reports and the assistance of shared Global Communications team resources.
- Develop, and support the implementation of, a comprehensive annual plan for external communications to help build and protect the Firm’s brand reputation in NA to increase the Firm’s visibility and profile, reinforcing talent management efforts and enhancing competitive and brand positioning.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive plan to manage media relations with the global business/financial, legal and vertical trade press in the NA region.
- Develop and refine key messages, and assist in training designated spokespersons in delivering these messages.
- Draft and issue press releases and organize media briefings
- Provide ongoing analysis, reports and recommendations on proactive media relations in the region including working with marketing and business development colleagues to leverage global and regional thought leadership, research and content.
- Coordinate profile-raising efforts with colleagues in other regions to ensure consistent messaging and aligned activity.
- Oversee and develop the Firm's social media strategy in the region
- Assist in developing external profiling strategies and opportunities for major meetings, seminars and events, including: the annual Regional Meetings, and the Firm’s Annual Global Partners Meeting.
- Oversee external communications by practice/industry groups in the region, and provide advice and support where necessary to all offices in the North America region.
- Provide advice and support in preparing for and managing communications and the Firm's reputation around potential negative business issues and crises in the region.
- Lead global external communications initiatives.
- Collaborate with internal communities in developing and maintaining the region's content for BakerMcKenzie.com and Internal Communications
- Develop, and support the implementation of, a comprehensive annual plan for internal communications to help the Firm to attract, retain and engage top talent.
- Provide executive communications support to, and work directly with, the North America Chair, Managing Partner and Regional Operating Officer
- Prepare major speeches/talking points and develop presentation materials for key members of the North America management team.
- Advise and prepare North America leadership with internal communications materials. These will include: industry newsletters, correspondence, reports, blogs, etc. via email and intranet.
- Assist in developing internal communications for major meetings, seminars and events in North America, including periodic North America Regional Council meetings, the annual Regional Meetings, and the Firm’s Annual Global Partners Meeting.
- Collaborate with internal communities in developing and maintaining NA’s content for BakerWorld our intranet.
- Assist North America to communicate its social responsibility activities (pro bono, sustainability, diversity and community initiatives) to internal and external audiences
- Undergraduate degree required
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant communications experience, preferably in a professional services firm or a large global organization.
- Strong business acumen
- Familiarity with communications technologies
- Intellectually curious and keen to learn
Knowledge and Skills
- Extensive experience with both internal and external communications at a professional services firm, corporation or equivalent.
- Strategic media relations expertise with business and financial media particularly with global media organizations based in North America
- Experience and enthusiasm for digital communications tools and platforms (blogs, social media, etc.)
- Previous experience of issues management
- Strong writer experienced with a wide range of communications tools, including press releases, speeches, reports, newsletters, intranet/internet websites, etc.
- Experience and knowledge of current trends and market place data within the North American region for corporate communication
- Highly collaborative and comfortable working at all levels in a global, matrixed, consensus-oriented culture.
- Adept at building trust and lasting relationships internally and externally, especially with senior Firm leadership.
- Experience of managing and running teams
Travel as required and approved to meet and work with colleagues in the region, attend Firm events, etc. (estimated not to exceed 20% of the time)
Chicago, Illinois, United States