The Corporate department provides skilled M&A (public and private), capital markets, private equity, projects, reorganisations, and financial services advice, alongside traditional company law, board level compliance, and corporate governance support, to a wide range of clients, including listed PLCs, financial institutions, and major multinational corporates. Our practice is broad, and much of what we do is cross-border.
The London Corporate team has over 150 fee earners and business professionals and we work across 6 key industry groups: Consumer goods & Retail, Energy Mining & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Healthcare, Industrials, Manufacturing& Transportation, Technology, Media and Telecoms.
Our key differentiator is our Lawyers who collaborate across borders, markets and industries around the globe. Our Lawyers embrace new ideas and emerging technologies to give businesses confidence in these uncertain times. Our clients include nearly all of the world’s 100 largest public companies and more than three-quarters of the Fortune 500.
The Reorganisations team advise on global projects such as post acquisition integrations, spin offs and carve-outs, as well as UK-focussed corporate restructurings. The team is made up of 4 Partners, 14 Associates, 3 Trainees and 2 Paralegals. The team works very closely with the Tax Department in London and the Global Tax Practice Group on many projects and transactions.
As one of only a handful of law firms with a dedicated Global Reorganisations practice, we have a strong track record of working successfully with multi-national groups to integrate and restructure their business operations. Whether prompted by an acquisition, spin-off, or internal restructuring, we help manage change to corporate organizations more effectively and deliver better value with less risk by strategically addressing all legal implications. Working in cross-border and interdisciplinary teams, we coordinate advice on tax, corporate, intellectual property, employment, employee benefits, and commercial matters from around the world, and advise on English company law matters. We apply a detailed project management approach that takes into account global objectives and client needs while facilitating compliance with local laws, business and cultural practices.
We advise on:
- Pre-transaction restructurings, including multinational spin-offs or separation of a division, line of business or other assets into a separate corporate structure
- Post-acquisition integration of acquired groups of companies
- Supply chain restructuring projects
- Fiscal reorganizations designed to create optimal business structures
- Group simplification projects to rationalise legal entities
We are currently seeking an ambitious and talented corporate newly qualified lawyer, looking for a challenging and rewarding new role. Interested applicants should be able to demonstrate exemplary technical skills and relish the opportunity to join a truly unique and successful global corporate team.
The role will involve:
- Advising and supporting leading multi-national corporates
- Developing relationships with clients, including understanding clients' businesses, economic drivers, markets, and sectors in order to deliver relevant and commercial advice and contribute to growing the relationship and winning further work.
- Engaging in business development activities, and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work.
- Working as part of a team and taking an active role in sharing knowledge and experience.
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility that they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
- There are regular opportunities for secondments with clients.
- Posting to other offices under the firm's associate transfer programme is also a possibility.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- An Associate newly qualified lawyer with excellent academics
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients
- High work standards
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- English company law experience
- Experience of cross-border transactions
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrates a willingness to learn - the right candidate will want to continue to develop their key competencies and skills
- Strong service orientation, with good client management skills
- Flexible work practices and ability to adapt style as required
- Outstanding communication skills and ability to work within a team
- Open and co-operative attitude with professional outlook
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2017 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2018: currently ranked 6th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or email
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Mona Rangar, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5739 or email
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.