To lead the day-to-day operations of the Firm's BDMC function for the Latin America region; manage the department's regional resources and develop a market-leading BDMC business-partnering function which enables the Firm to win, retain and grow business through consistently high standards, engaging thought leadership as well as strong relationship and account management.
- Work with the Regional Chair, the Regional Operating Officer, the Regional Council, Practice & Industry Groups, BDMC Leadership, Fee Earners and other functions to proactively plan and deliver a compelling BDMC strategy across our region - driving greater revenues, market positioning and relationships across the region.
- Provide proactive leadership and direction to the team, develop skills and capabilities within the group that will ensure excellence in service to clients and Partners.
- Ensure that the services being delivered by the BDMC function are best in class and that best practices are being adopted and shared.
- Work with the Regional Operating Officer to consider and develop plans for greater integration and efficiency, through shared service, regional provision and a centres of excellence approach.
- Work with leadership to provide active advice, assistance and support in the context of the BDMC function, including needs analysis, recruitment, development, training and management of staff (as required) to ensure that all members of the team are working effectively together to meet client needs regardless of location.
- Work closely with the NA BDMC Director and NA BDMC regional team as well as with other regions; facilitate close working operations for the two teams to ensure we are aligned and building strong working relationships while also supporting the very different demands across the two units in each region.
- Work with Partners, the Industry Key Client and Regional Client Program teams to build enhanced relationships with clients and targets, including ongoing client analysis and review, to ensure that the Firm is prioritising the most strategically attractive clients as part of the Global client program and through regional and lead and drive the Firm’s client local targeting initiatives for the region on an annual basis.
- Work with Latin America Regional Practice and Industry Group Steering Committees, prepare client-focused business plans with a clear emphasis on revenue growth and profitability through enhanced client relationships and business development.
- Partner closely with our Expert BDMC functions (Marketing, Pitch & Pursuits Excellence, Pricing Excellence) to ensure marketing campaigns, proposal preparation and pitch training for attorneys, pricing options and alternative fee arrangements strategies align with the requirements of the business as well as global best practice.
- Critically influence and work with our global BDMC End-to-End Services teams (Marketing Services; Directories, Awards and League Tables; Event Management) around local production needs including proposal and communications templates, marketing material, campaigns and channels; roll-out of branding communications and advertising; managing submissions for awards, league tables/directories and local event requirements.
- Ensure high levels of adoption of relevant End-to-End Services (Marketing Services; Directories, Awards and League Tables; Event Management) by in-market business partners in all offices in the region.
- Develop BD capabilities in local markets for both lawyers and In-Market BD business partners, elevating the function of the latter to be more strategic as the day-to-day transactional responsibilities are delivered through E2E service centres.
- Working with our Expert Teams, drive both internal and external communications for the region’s offices, local media and intranet to channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through a single, uniform and strategically consistent communications voice.
- Advise Latin America partners on the suitability of promotional programmes, including, literature, advertising, events, media, presentations, sponsorship in the context of the wider business development benefits available.
- Manage the implementation of Firm-wide and market sector promotional programmes with a view to ensuring clear business development benefits from all activities.
- Bachelor’s degree desirable. Masters or other qualifications focusing on Marketing, Communications, Sales or related commercial subjects would be advantageous
- Extensive experience in business development, marketing/communications / BMI
- Significant leadership experience, ideally with strong experience managing a Business Development/Marketing department across multiple offices or on a regional basis
- Latin America market knowledge
- Experience working with multinational companies, with multiple reports: regional and global
- Relationship skills / Influence / negotiation / diplomatic approach
- Communication skills
- Growth mindset / drive change / flexibility
- High EQ
- Experience of leading large Business Development, Marketing/Communications teams across multiple offices and jurisdictions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to interact and influence at senior levels of the Firm
- Strong, flexible leadership skills to manage and lead a diverse team, located across multiple countries
- Thoughtful and creative, with a clear vision of how BDMC can drive revenues and relationships
- Highly collaborative, with the ability to build support and high-functioning teams within and across regions, and as part of the global BDMC leadership team
- Fluent English level
- Fluent Portuguese or Spanish Experience / Knowledge in digital transformation
- Experience working at the legal industry