The Lead Knowledge Lawyer, Technology, Media & Telecommunications (TMT) will initiate, manage and execute knowledge projects for the TMT Industry Group within the context of the Firm's knowledge strategy.
To make first-class TMT knowledge easily available to lawyers and support lawyers in building their cross-practice sector expertise, increasing the quality, consistency and cost effectiveness of the advice that the Firm gives its clients.
Knowledge and Expertise
- Current awareness and commercial/industry know how . Deeply understand TMT clients' industries and businesses and use that knowledge to optimize opportunities for know how creation, current awareness updates and connecting TMT business and industry knowledge to broader Firm initiatives. Monitor and spot forward-looking TMT-related developments and trends in collaboration with practice group specialists, translate their legal impact to clients and lawyers in a commercial way and find ways to efficiently and effectively disseminate this know how within the Firm. Possess a fundamental understanding of the work performed by the Firm's other practice and industry groups in order to connect their work to the TMT Industry Group and vice versa. Enhance internal awareness of TMT-specific issues and equip lawyers to talk about them irrespective of their practice group.
- Lawyer requests. Be a sounding board and trusted advisor to lawyers on complex sector issues and devise systems for capturing and analyzing lawyer enquiries in order to produce know how to address gaps.
- Know how development. Develop, capture and make accessible to lawyers TMT related know how . Ensure that know how best practices are being followed throughout the TMT Industry Group and contribute to developing them.
- Training. Coordinate the development of internal materials and know how in collaboration with PG specialists to develop the TMT expertise of lawyers and business professionals, including dedicated training materials with the objective of enabling lawyers, irrespective of their practice group to be able to identify potential sector-related commercial issues and solutions that clients may face. Support the development of a training plan linked to the TMT Industry Group's business strategy and identify opportunities for using different media and collaborate with the Learning
and Development team. Meet training needs by delivering, participating in and promoting training. Link the TMT Industry Group's training program to broader Firm training initiatives
- Client-facing knowledge. Set the agenda for thought leadership campaigns after discussion with key stakeholders and alignment with the TMT Industry Group's strategy, advocating forward-looking, industry-focused analysis, not just “news." Curating the TMT Module on InsightPlus and supporting the creation of other client-facing content for the TMT Industry Group
- Client-facing activities. Collaborate closely with the TMT BDMC team to get access to client intelligence, ensure client-centricity of Knowledge deliverables and contribute actively to client trainings, conferences, round-tables and similar events. Support the tailoring of Firm-wide service lines to the needs of TMT clients.
- Service Orientation
- Relationships. Promote an integrated, "one global team" mindset among the team and implement and influence the knowledge culture throughout the TMT Industry Group. Establish and nurture long-term relationships with key decision-makers across the Firm to help achieve results and coach and facilitate the building and establishment of long-term relationships by members of their team. Ensure that Knowledge work for the TMT Industry Group is recognized and rewarded. Connect the TMT Industry Group work with the work of Knowledge Lawyers in other practice and industry groups for wider benefit.
- Operations and innovation. Evolve the TMT Industry Group's Knowledge strategy and best practices and promote them among lawyers in the TMT Industry Group. Promote an innovative and quality-focused mindset and challenge the team to consider how to deliver services more effectively and efficiently. Promote greater use of offshore Service Centers, integrated use of project managers and technology tools to manage costs and improve efficiency in the TMT Industry Group.
- Systems. Act as an internal champion for Knowledge systems, ensuring lawyers across the TMT Industry Group engage with those. Identify and implement Knowledge system changes (technological and behavioural) needed in order better to deliver legal content.
- Strategy, alignment and integration. Build and implement a comprehensive global Knowledge Plan for the TMT Industry Group. Align and integrate the TMT Group's Knowledge Plan with its business plan, the Firm's strategic framework, the Knowledge strategy and the Industry Groups' strategy. Create a single joint community among fee-earning lawyers, Knowledge Lawyers and other Knowledge and business professionals within the TMT Industry Group and across countries and regions. Emphasize and illustrate the cross-practice group nature and impact of TMT know how.
- Law degree.
- Current license to practice law (or eligibility for one).
- Extensive post-qualification experience as a practicing lawyer with direct involvement in the technology, media and telecommunications area.
- Substantive knowledge of the technology, media and telecommunications industry.
- Excellent English language skills (verbal and written) and the confidence to communicate in a multi-cultural, multi-level environment.
- Experience working directly with senior counterparts on strategy and execution.
- Excellent time management and organizing skills; ability to prioritise and manage time to meet deadlines.
- Strong word processing and spreadsheet skills.
- Experience in or willingness to learn document automation and other legal technology.