The Associate Director – Sustainability Operations & BDMC Lead will work with the CSO to develop the global sustainability strategy, business plan and budget, to lead the business development, client development, marketing support and operations for the global sustainability function and to develop, implement and monetize a best-in-class, holistic sustainability client offering, ensuring that all regional sustainability efforts are aligned to the global sustainability strategy. It is a strategic role, requiring gravitas and the ability to develop and promote client-facing sustainability initiatives in a consistent manner across the Firm, to raise profile for the sustainability practitioners across all regions and to contribute to establish the Firm as an industry leader in sustainability.
- Operations, Business Planning and Budgeting for the Sustainability Function, BDMC Support for the Sustainability Service Line.
- Act as a strategic advisor to the CSO.
- Develop global strategy including managing the business plan and budget for the sustainability function.
- Act as the Operations & BDMC lead for the sustainability service line, developing a strategy for the sustainability service line focused on growing profitable revenue.
- Manage implementation of the sustainability service line across all regions.
- Collaborate at all levels across the Firm - including GPGs and GIGs - and work with, guide and coach global, regional and local Operations, BDMC and other Business Professionals colleagues to ensure alignment and progression of initiatives and efforts related to the sustainability strategy and service line.
- Maintain an up to date mapping of our holistic client offering and capabilities in relation to sustainability to design a common Firm approach responding to our clients’ sustainability needs and to drive a strong impact on the market and raise our Firm profile.
- Understand the key sustainability issues for our clients, including industry nuances, to create bespoke offering and help support ongoing relationships and joint initiatives with clients (and with external organizations).
- Work with CSO to identify our sustainability experts and gaps.
- Liaising with our marketing, communications and events teams to create an impactful program that will raise the profile of the Firm and its experts, develop and manage client events program and identify and pursue the key conferences, partnerships/sponsorships, thought leadership and media opportunities to position us as an industry leader, tracking ROI on all efforts in order to adjust investment strategy as needed.
- In support of service line, create seamless internal and external communications channels and marketing collaterals.
- Work with our internal sustainability teams, pro bono and DEI teams to leverage internal efforts to support our service line and external client efforts.
- Work with coordinator of the Firm’s NGO sponsorships (WEF, WBCSD, UNGC, etc.) to develop an NGO partnership strategy that complements our service line and external client efforts.
- Ensure compelling website and digital media presence.
- Work with global sustainability team to educate the entire Firm (lawyers and Business Professionals) so that they can understand the business realities our clients face and proactively support our sustainability efforts.
- Help monitor revenue and KPIs from sustainability service line.
- Organize and facilitate internal sustainability Firm’s town halls, as well as sustainability service line meeting at the Annual Meeting and regional meetings (as applicable).
- Put collaboration, diversity, inclusion and sense of community at the heart of everything we do.
- Significant professional services and business development experience is vital, with the ability to interact with, manage and/or coach key stakeholder in relation to strategic aspects of the sustainability client offering and their role.
- Understanding of how clients select lawyers, as well as the client development process within professional services firms.
- Knowledge and experience of sustainability is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication and presentation skills, with an aptitude for creating engaging content.
- Well-developed and sophisticated organization, communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to build relationships, influence and trust within Firm and with external clients and/or leading organizations.
- Significant and demonstrable experience in working across geographical locations and cultures.
- Ability to understand and adapt with agility to the expectations and the needs of different cultures across the Firm.
- Highly effective project management and prioritization skills, with ability to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis.
- Creative mindset with the confidence and ability to leverage multiple perspectives to develop robust and innovative service line.
- Possesses a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards.
- Collaborative and team player and a positive "can-do" approach.
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations.
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
- Respects and encourages the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds across the Firm.