The London Corporate department provides comprehensive M&A, capital markets, projects, company law, board level compliance and corporate governance advice to a wide range of clients including PLCs, financial institutions and subsidiaries of major multinational corporates.
The London Corporate Group has a long standing reputation as the leading firm for advising issuers on deals seeing high quality emerging markets issuers raise capital on the global financial markets. The team, in addition to private M&A, has a focus on takeovers and equity capital market work.
Our practice is not limited by industry and includes advising on all aspects of public cross-border takeovers, private acquisitions and equity capital markets transactions. We are one of the few firms on the market able to offer a full and high-quality set of corporate finance services to our clients on a cross-border basis, in connection with complex capital transactions.
The London Corporate department is the largest within the office and at the heart of the firm's business. We are seeking an experienced, technically excellent and ambitious corporate lawyer looking for a challenging and rewarding new role. Our lawyers are cross-border specialists working closely with over 130 local practitioners in 34 offices and 26 countries across EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa), and are an integral part of the world's largest securities practice.
The role will include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Advising clients on a wide range of matters, with a particular focus on takeovers, equity capital markets work, and cross-border private M&A. Associates work in a collegiate environment, for a range of partners, and can expect a good variety of work.
- Developing relationships with clients including gaining a good knowledge of the client’s businesses, economic drivers, market and sector requirements in order to ensure advice is relevant and commercial.
- Engaging in business development activities and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work.
- Working as part of a team including assisting with the supervision of junior lawyers’ work, and taking an active part in sharing knowledge and experience with the team.
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
- There are regular opportunities for secondments with clients. Posting to other offices under the firm's associate transfer programme is also a possibility.
Skills and Experience Required
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- A qualified lawyer with excellent academics credentials
- Current experience in the corporate department of a leading City or US firm with some experience of public takeover and/or equity capital markets work
- First rate technical skills needed to support the client work of the department
- Commerciality and demonstrable business development experience
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Maturity and gravitas
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- High work standards
- Flexible work practices
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- A keenness to learn
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2016 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2016: currently ranked 57th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017: currently ranked 7th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Mona Rangar, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5739 or email Mona.Rangar@bakermckenzie.com
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.