Baker McKenzie is seeking a London-based mid-level, U.S.-qualified high yield associate to join its growing high yield team.
The team works closely with our broader Corporate Finance group - a fully integrated team of UK and US lawyers offering investment banks and corporates a full range of securities law services relating to all types of capital markets transactions. This team offers a full range of services across Debt and Equity. Our broader expertise includes Eurobond and loan participation note offerings; Medium term note programmes; Equity linked notes; Debt buy-backs; Convertible bonds; Debt restructurings; Corporate trustee advisory service; Covenant renegotiations; Tender offers, consent solicitations and exchange offers. The work includes London listings, including GDR and AIM listings; IPOs, follow-on public offerings and private placements and SEC-registered and Rule 144A offerings into the United States. In addition to these securities-related services, our transactional practice includes mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital, and banking and finance. We address both ongoing corporate needs and extraordinary events, including regulatory matters, internal investigations and securities litigation. Our growing Corporate Finance team forms part of the world's largest capital markets practice.
The high yield team also works closely with our growing banking and finance and private equity teams in connection with our integrated leverage finance offering in London advising leading private equity funds and investment banks in connection with leveraged transactions. Together, the High Yield, B&F and PE teams have grown by nine partners in the last year.
The HYB team sits within our Corporate department, which provides skilled capital markets, M&A (public and private), private equity, projects, re-organizations, and financial services advice, alongside traditional company law, board level compliance, and corporate governance support, to a wide range of clients, including listed PLCs, financial institutions, and major multinational corporates. Our practice is broad, and much of what we do is cross-border.
The London Corporate team has over 150 lawyers and business professionals and we work across six key industry groups: Consumer goods & Retail; Energy Mining & Infrastructure; Financial Institutions; Healthcare; Industrials, Manufacturing & Transportation; and Technology, Media & Telecoms.
Our key differentiator is our Lawyers who collaborate across borders, markets and industries around the globe. Our Lawyers embrace new ideas and emerging technologies to give businesses confidence in these uncertain times. Our clients include nearly all of the world’s 100 largest public companies and more than three-quarters of the Fortune 500.
Our practice is not limited by industry and includes advising on all aspects of public cross-border takeovers, private acquisitions and equity capital markets transactions. We are one of the few firms on the market able to offer a full and high-quality set of corporate finance services to our clients on a cross-border basis, in connection with complex capital transactions. We regularly advise leading investment banks and listed companies on listings, capital raisings, significant acquisitions and disposals and takeovers.
We are currently seeking an ambitious and experienced high yield associate looking for a challenging and rewarding new role. The role will involve:
- Negotiating Description of Notes, Purchase Agreements, Intercreditor Agreements and other key transactional documents in connection with a high yield offering. Associates will also work closely with the banking and finance team negotiating commitment papers in connection with bridge-to-bond committed financing processes and incurrence based covenants on the syndicated loan side of financing transactions.
- Drafting offering memorandums for high yield offerings with U.S.-style disclosure and due diligence, U.S. opinions and general U.S. securities law advice with respect to 144A and Reg S offerings (including Investment Company Act of 1940 and similar advice).
- Managing junior associates on a high-yield bond offerings and general transaction management skills, including drafting and/or overseeing closing documentation. This would also include various follow-up compliance advice: engaging with the major debt exchanges re listings, dealing with DTC, Euroclear and Clearstream, etc.
- Working closely with partners to develop client relationships, including understanding clients' businesses, economic drivers, markets, and sectors in order to deliver relevant and commercial advice and contribute to growing the relationship and winning further work.
- Engaging in business development activities, and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work
- Working as part of a team and taking an active role in sharing knowledge and experience.
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility that they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
- There are regular opportunities for secondment with clients.
- Posting to other offices under the firm's associate transfer programme is also a possibility.
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2017 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2018: currently ranked 6th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or email
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Mona Rangar, Interim Recruitment Manager, on 020 7919 5739 or email
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
- An accomplished associate with 4-5 years of high yield bond experience in a leading high yield firm
- US qualified
- Excellent academics
- Commerciality and demonstrable business development experience
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- High work standards
- Flexible work practices
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- A keenness to learn - intellectual curiosity
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm