We are currently looking to recruit a Tax Disputes Associate ideally at the mid level. In this role, you will primarily be responsible for working on tax disputes. The technical areas mainly include corporation tax, VAT and litigation support to transfer pricing disputes.
The work includes assisting clients on tax enquiries and investigations as well as managing cases through the Tribunal and courts - including instructing Counsel, developing the case strategy, undertaking disclosure exercises, preparing witness statements, drafting pleadings, assisting with ADR mediation and advising on appeals.
In this role you will be expected to be proactive and manage a case providing technical tax advice alongside procedural and strategic insights as part of a team representing the client on large scale tax disputes.
All of our team play an important role in business development and you will be expected to be involved in developing and executing our business development strategy.
Baker McKenzie's award-winning London tax team, comprising fifteen partners and over 50 associates, is one of the largest law firm tax practices in the City
A unique offering combining tax services found both in "Big 4" and in "Big Law"
We are unique among law firms in that our tax teams comprise of lawyers, tax advisors, accountants and economists. As well as offering the services traditionally offered by law firms in the transactional tax and tax disputes space, we also field large standalone Transfer Pricing and VAT/Indirect global tax practices, something no other law firm can credibly claim to have.
We are currently one of the few law firms capable of undertaking M&A tax due diligence and complex economic modelling and valuations, and our tax disputes practice is one of the largest in the world and complemented by a global tax policy practice. Working across and beyond tax, we help clients design, model, develop, implement and defend projects and are currently unique in the market.
The fastest growing and most profitable practice in the London office of Baker McKenzie
By combining and streamlining tax services found in "Big 4" and in "Big Law" we now win substantial tax planning and transactional tax mandates from both sets of competitors. Our team and our revenues have almost doubled in three years and we continue to grow.
The London team is ranked in Tier 1 in the International Tax Review's Global Tax Guide and Tier 1 for Transfer Pricing. This year we won the UK Tax Firm of the Year award, one of the most prestigious awards of the International Tax Review European Tax Awards Gala held in May. Other awards include International Tax Team of the Year at Tolley's Taxation Awards.
An innovative, supportive and fun group of people to work with
The tax team in London has a strong team culture and is a genuinely nice group to work with. Our people drive our success so we aim to provide clear opportunities and support for personal development and career advancement for all team members. As we grow we also take steps to protect our distinctive team culture - we all work hard but we also like to have fun along the way.
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2017 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2018: currently ranked 6th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or email
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Richard McCabe, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7919 1593 or email
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
- Graduate - degree educated or comparable (minimum 2:1)
- Qualified solicitor, barrister or tax advisor with tax disputes experience gained from a leading international law or accountancy firm
- Excellent technical abilities and development potential
- Experience of advising on tax cases through the Tribunal and courts
- Experience of advising on tax enquiries and investigations
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proactive and flexible, with an emphasis on reliability, responsiveness and delivery
- First class communicator - both strong verbally and written - and able to develop relationships with key internal stakeholders and clients with ease
- Strong team player with a "client first" mentality
- A strong interest in business development
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm