This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior HR professional to work collaboratively with the business to help them achieve their strategic goals. Through identifying the organisational and people priorities, adopting a responsive, client and solution focused approach and delivering best practice, commercial HR solutions the successful candidate will establish themselves as a trusted advisor within the business.
This role will form part of team of three HR Business partners, four HR Officers and an HR Coordinator responsible for supporting the London Office and will be accountable for a mixture of legal and business services client groups.
HR&D strategy implementation & strategic projects
- To provide strategic input into the office HR strategy and to assist with or lead on initiatives that deliver the HR pillars of the Firms' strategy
- To partner closely with the regional HR team, expert functions and E2E (end to end) service centres to deliver HR solutions to our internal stakeholders
- To lead on a number of strategic HR projects
- To partner and work with senior partners on strategic initiatives and implementation of strategic priorities
- To form part of the HR Senior Management team that assist the TM Lead in shaping and implementing the strategy for the HR & Development Department.
HR Business Partnerning
- To act as the strategic HR business partner to assigned internal clients, establishing strong working relationships with partners. Activities for each client group to include:
- Assist client groups in delivering against the office and their department strategy
- Developing and delivering an annual HR plan, aimed at driving employee engagement, a higher performance culture and ensuring best practice HR solutions in support of the delivery of the client group’s business plan
- Clarifying the resource requirements for client groups and engaging the Recruitment team to deliver against these needs
- Providing trusted one to one guidance and coaching to partners on all HR matters
- Advising on HR policy, making or recommending appropriate decisions
- Ensuring the delivery of outstanding operational service through the HR Officers
- Diagnosing and analysing team and individual development needs, engaging L&L to put in place appropriate OD and L&D solutions
- Coordinating performance reviews, salary and bonus reviews and promotions at all levels
- Effectively and proactively managing all ER cases for assigned groups
- To act as number two to the Head of Talent Management and form part of the HR Senior Manager network.
- To innovate, share ideas and best practice so that the HRBP function is delivering a high quality and efficient service to the business.
- This role will have formal people management responsibility, along with more informal responsibilities such as coaching, mentoring and motivating the less experienced HRBPs, HROs and HR Coordinator giving regular feedback and feeding into formal performance reviews.
- To look for opportunities to improve internal processes/service and work with the appropriate people to implement these changes
- To collaborate and share best practice with the other HR Business Partners and wider HR&D Team (locally and regionally).
About The Team
The Firm’s People function has responsibility for recruiting, supporting and developing all of the Firm’s people, including our Partners, Lawyers and Professional & Business Services, working closely with the Firm’s leadership to design and deliver the Firm’s people strategy, building on the Firm’s core commitments to collaboration, excellence and inclusivity. The function includes:
- Talent Management
- Recruitment & Mobility
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Leadership & Learning
- Careers & Performance
- Partner Services
- Total Rewards
This role will report to the Head of Talent Management.
The key relationships of this role will be with the following:
- Department Managers, Partners and employees in relevant Practice Group(s)
- Heads of Function, Line Managers
- EMEA+ Talent Team
- People team leadership
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Experience of operating in a similar senior level role within a professional services organisation
- Strong client service ethos and delivery focus
- A catalyst and leader of change
- A flexible approach to adapt the role to meet current and future business needs
- Strategic thinker and with a commercial understanding and ability to translate business goals into HR priorities
- Influencing and presentation skills to establish senior level credibility
- Strong client relationships skills with the ability to manage the diversity of multiple leader relationships and serve their needs without compromising service levels
- Ability to build rapport at all levels
- In-depth working knowledge and understanding of HR legislation, principles, policies and procedures
- Ability to develop solutions to a wide range of highly complex problems, requiring creativity and innovation
- Strong diagnosis and analysis skills and ability to exercise good judgment
- A motivator and developer of people
- Collaborative approach, effectively working with others to achieve team success
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, James Taylor, Associate Director of Recruitment EMEA+, on +442070725763 or James.Taylor@Bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA - since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.