We are currently looking for an experienced VAT practitioner (with approximately 6+ PQE) to be part of the largest and most successful VAT team in an international law firm. This is a fantastic opportunity where you will be expected to get stuck into complex VAT projects for the world's largest and innovative companies. There is no better role in the market if you like being able to concentrate on technical VAT work, delivering work to the highest quality and are committed to excellent client service.
The role will involve working on standalone VAT projects but much of our work involves collaborating with other tax colleagues (direct tax, transfer pricing or wealth management). In addition, the role will involve multi-disciplinary projects with other teams (such as regulatory, corporate reorganisations or dispute resolution colleagues). Much of the work has an international element, and we work closely with colleagues globally.
The work is divided between advisory work, contentious work and transactional work. We have a large client base in the technology, digital, financial services, real estate and pharma sectors.
In terms of what we are looking for specifically:
- We need a confident person, who has excellent VAT technical skills, to manage significant client projects and support team members to deliver work of the highest quality.
- The team has a busy workload, but we need someone who is proactive in developing existing and new client relationships to continue the strong growth of the VAT practice.
Why should you apply for this role?
- You enjoy a varied technical VAT caseload and want to work on cutting edge projects
- You want to be rewarded for your expertise and hard work
- You want to work with the largest multinational clients and have opportunities to develop new and existing client relationships
- You want the opportunity to help lead and develop people as part of a successful practice
- You enjoy being part of a global team with seamless interaction and strong relationships
Baker McKenzie's award-winning London tax team, comprising sixteen partners and over 40 associates, is one of the largest law firm tax practices in the City.
A unique offering combining tax services found both in "Big 4" and in "Big Law"
We are unique among law firms in that our tax teams comprise of lawyers, tax advisors, accountants and economists. As well as offering the services traditionally offered by law firms in the transactional tax and tax disputes space, we also field large standalone Transfer Pricing and VAT/Indirect global tax practices, something no other law firm can credibly claim to have.
We are currently one of the few law firms capable of undertaking M&A tax due diligence and complex economic modelling and valuations, and our tax disputes practice is one of the largest in the world and complemented by a global tax policy practice. Working across and beyond tax, we help clients design, model, develop, implement and defend projects and are currently unique in the market.
The fastest growing and most profitable practice in the London office of Baker McKenzie
By combining and streamlining tax services found in "Big 4" and in "Big Law" we now win substantial tax planning and transactional tax mandates from both sets of competitors. Our team and our revenues have almost doubled in three years and we continue to grow.
The London team is ranked in Tier 1 in the International Tax Review's World Tax Guide for Corporate Tax, VAT & Indirect Tax, Transactional Tax and Contentious Tax and Tier 1 for Transfer Pricing in the International Tax Review's World Transfer Pricing Guide. The London VAT Team has been ranked Tier 1 in the Legal 500 UK VAT & Indirect Tax section for the past 8 years.
Globally our Tax Practice is ranked Band 1 by Chambers Global Guide 2021, and we’re also ranked Band 1 in Chambers Europe Guide 2021. Last year we won European Tax Disputes Team of the Year at the ITR European Awards - our VAT disputes work in London played a key role in this win.
An innovative, supportive and fun group of people to work with
The tax team in London has a strong team culture and is a genuinely nice group to work with. Our people drive our success so we aim to provide clear opportunities and support for personal development and career advancement for all team members. As we grow we also take steps to protect our distinctive team culture - we all work hard but we also like to have fun along the way.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- Strong VAT experience, 8+ years technical UK VAT experience or 6+ PQE, at least part obtained from a leading professional services organisation (i.e. Big Four or City law firm)
- Graduate - degree educated or comparable
- Professionally qualified: CTA/ATT, Solicitor, Barrister, Chartered Accountant or equivalent
- Excellent technical abilities and development potential
- Proactive and flexible, with an emphasis on reliability, responsiveness and delivery
- First class communicator - both strong verbally and orally - and able to develop relationships with key internal stakeholders and clients with ease
- Strong team player with a "client first" mentality.
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA - since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.