In this role you will work directly with partners, senior directors, and clients, in the UK and many other jurisdictions globally, to deliver Transfer Pricing expertise and advice.
- Taking substantial ownership of client work and ability to work autonomously
- Building an internal and external network of contacts and clients
- Working with junior members of the team to meet client needs
- Developing new approaches to, or increasing the integrity of, complex technical transfer pricing techniques and issues
Why should you apply for this role?
The London Tax practice advises on a wide range of tax matters specialising in the areas of Corporate Tax, Indirect Taxes (VAT), Tax Disputes and Transfer Pricing. We act for a diverse range of clients in the corporate and financial arena such as multinational corporates, financial institutions and private equity houses. We represent clients in a wide range of sectors, including high technology, media, telecoms, energy, mining, oil and gas, chemicals, construction, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology.
We focus on international tax advisory and planning work for our multi-national clients, especially with regard to transfer pricing. Particularly in the areas of multi-jurisdiction, structuring and re-organisations and supply chain and business planning.
We are market leaders in:
- IP Structuring and Restructuring
- Supply -Chain Structuring and Restructurings
- Business Transformations
- M&A / Joint-Venture Transactions
- Debt Structuring and Restructuring
We have a different mind-set, being a mix of lawyers, tax advisors, economists and accountants. We work as a cohesive team across these disciplines in both the London office and globally. We have the ability to advise on both legal and tax issues in a coordinated fashion.
We combine an extremely high level of Tax expertise with a collegiate culture that focuses on delivering clear, commercial and pragmatic advice.
Some of our recent accolades include:
- Ranked band 1 in Chambers Global 2022 and Chambers EMEA 2022 for Tax practice
- Ranked tier 1 in Canada, China, Colombia, France, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Singapore, United Kingdom and the United States, 2022 International Tax Review World Transfer Pricing Guide.
Baker McKenzie's award-winning London tax team, comprising fifteen partners and over 50 associates, is one of the largest law firm tax practices in the City, and compete with the Big 4, not other law firms.
A unique offering combining tax services found both in "Big 4" and in "Big Law"
We are unique among law firms in that our tax teams comprise of lawyers, tax advisors, accountants and economists. As well as offering the services traditionally offered by law firms in the transactional tax and tax disputes space, we also field large standalone Transfer Pricing and VAT/Indirect global tax practices, something no other law firm can credibly claim to have.
We are currently one of the few law firms capable of undertaking M&A tax due diligence and complex economic modelling and valuations, and our tax disputes practice is one of the largest in the world and complemented by a global tax policy practice. Working across and beyond tax, we help clients design, model, develop, implement and defend projects and are currently unique in the market.
The fastest growing and most profitable practice in the London office of Baker McKenzie
By combining and streamlining tax services found in "Big 4" and in "Big Law" we now win substantial tax planning and transactional tax mandates from both sets of competitors. Our team and our revenues have almost doubled in three years and we continue to grow.
The London team is ranked in Tier 1 in the International Tax Review's World Tax Guide for Corporate Tax, VAT & Indirect Tax, Transactional Tax and Contentious Tax and Tier 1 for Transfer Pricing in the International Tax Review's World Transfer Pricing Guide. Last year, we won the UK Tax Firm of the Year award, at the International Tax Review European Tax Awards 2021 and International Tax Team of the Year.
An innovative, supportive and fun group of people to work with
The tax team in London has a strong team culture and is a genuinely nice group to work with. Our people drive our success so we aim to provide clear opportunities and support for personal development and career advancement for all team members. As we grow we also take steps to protect our distinctive team culture - we all work hard but we also like to have fun along the way.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- Highly technical and experienced Transfer Pricing professional with UK advisory experience ideally from a large accountancy firm or economics boutique
- Top quartile academics - degree educated (or comparable) with undergraduate studies in Economics strongly preferred
- Further qualifications highly desirable, including a MA or CFA
- Strength in written communication and the creation of detailed reports
- Attention to quality and detail
- Excellent technical knowledge and skills - and the ability to combine these skills with first class communication skills and commercial awareness to provide outstanding advice to clients and other departments within the firm
- Strong team player and ability to develop junior members of a team
- Ability to develop a practice - demonstrating initiative and pro-activity
- First class communicator - both strong verbally and orally - and able to develop relationships with key internal stakeholders and clients with ease
- A "client first" mentality
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Thomson Reuters (formerly Acritas’ Sharplegal) Global Elite Law Firm Brand Index, 2010- 2022 - ranked 1st
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2021-2022: currently ranked 52nd
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as one of the 400 Largest US Law Firms in in its annual survey in 2020.
- Identified as one of the Hall of Fame for best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, 2011-2021.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top 100 Employers for LGBTQ+, 2017-2020.
- Ranked as one of the Top 75 Employers in the 2021 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Received Double Certification for earning top marks in the 2022 Corporate Equality Index and Equidad MX of the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
- Winner of the Europe Mentorship Programme – International Firm award in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Europe Awards 2021
- Winner of the Gender Diversity International Firm, Talent Management International Firm, and Work-Life Balance International Firm awards in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Asia Awards 2021
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.