In this role you will work directly with partners and senior directors, both in UK and other jurisdictions, on client work in relation to Transfer Pricing.
Taking substantial ownership of clients and ability to work autonomously.
Building an internal and external network of contacts and clients.
Working with junior members of the team to meet client needs.
Developing new approaches to complex technical transfer pricing issues.
You will join a team within the Tax department and will be instrumental in helping to grow the transfer pricing capability across all sectors. We currently have tax professionals covering TP, indirect and corporate tax, as well as wealth management, so there is a cohesive and comprehensive capability.
The role will initially include participating in business development, proposals and the management and execution of projects.The successful candidate will be expected to be able to provide technical leadership in this area. Over time, the role will include developing other team members to help the practice grow.Why should you apply for this role?
This role will offer a fast track to a leadership position. Baker McKenzie's TP practice is growing rapidly, and our focus on planning, strategy and disputes is well placed for the TP market in the coming years. The team is collegial and collaborative. It is also important to note that the team is very busy, so there will be plenty of work to enable a new team member to settle in quickly.
You should consider this role if you have a real interest in working in Transfer Pricing, and want to help build a practice, and you value a team environment.
Baker McKenzie's tax team is unique in its size and depth of specialism. Globally, we have over 1,000 tax practitioners operating in 44 countries making our Tax practice the largest in the firm. In London, we have over 60 fee earners including 13 partners making us the largest law firm tax practice in the City. We have experts in transfer pricing, direct tax practitioners, wealth management, and VAT. The tax team is an important department for the Firm in London as we generate around 20% of the Firm's revenues both in London and globally.
The tax team has a strong team culture and is a genuinely nice group to work with. Our people drive our success so we aim to provide clear opportunities and support for personal development and career advancement for all team members. As we grow we also take steps to protect our distinctive team culture - we all work hard but we also like to have fun along the way.
We are ranked as Tier 1 in Legal 500 for Indirect Tax. In May 2017, the team was awarded Best VAT and Indirect Tax Team at Tolley's Taxation Awards 2017. The London tax team is ranked in Tier 1 in the International Tax Review's Global Tax Guide and Tier 1 for Transfer Pricing. This year we won the European Tax Firm of the Year award, the most prestigious award of the International Tax Review European Tax Awards Gala held in May. We also won UK Transfer Pricing Firm of the Year
Key Skills and Experience Required
- Highly technical and experienced Transfer Pricing professional from a large accountancy firm or economic boutique
- Top quartile academics - degree educated (or comparable) with undergraduate studies in Economics strongly preferred
- Further qualifications highly desirable, including a MA or CFA
- Strength in written communication and the creation of detailed reports
- Attention to quality and detail
- Excellent technical knowledge and skills - and the ability to combine these skills with first class communication skills and commercial awareness to provide outstanding advice to clients and other departments within the firm
- Strong team player and ability to develop junior members of a team
- Ability to develop a practice - demonstrating initiative and pro-activity.
- First class communicator - both strong verbally and orally - and able to develop relationships with key internal stakeholders and clients with ease.
- A "client first" mentality.
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2016 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017: currently ranked 7th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or via email.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Aylin Berenti, Recruitment Officer, on 020 7919 5772 or via email.
No Agencies Please
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited cvs. Please click here for details of our agency policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Posting Date: 28 March 2018
Closing Date: 27 April 2018
Salary: Between £60,000 and £100,000 depending on experience
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.