To deliver the In-Market BDMC plans and operations of the Corporate Group in London and, through consistently high standards and effective client engagement, to develop a strategic BDMC business-partnering capability that enables Corporate to win, retain, and grow business.
The Corporate group comprises 5 separate teams: Projects, M&A, Capital Markets, Private Equity, and Reorganisations. This role focuses on Capital Markets and Reorganisations.
- Ensure the execution of BDMC plans for Corporate, by delivering high-quality BDMC support and bringing in BDMC Specialist and Center-based functions as required (these functions include central marketing, directories, proposals, events, key client management, data analytics, and design teams)
- Implement BD priorities for the Corporate group such as client targeting, thought leadership, effective responses to requests for proposals, and assisting with a range of special projects across the practice group
- Work with Partners and fee-earners to ensure their BDMC requirements are strategically developed, implemented, and communicated to other parts of the BDMC function; collaborate with Specialist functions to challenge requests where commercially prudent, e.g. pitch go/no go decisions
- Maintain and develop the Firm's external profile within the desired sectors, via a selection of sponsorship, trade body membership, and in-house campaign initiatives
- Support the Partners and other fee-earners to identify and implement external profile-raising opportunities, including our thought-leadership program/campaigns, article writing, and speaking opportunities; always looking for opportunities internally and externally to promote work on products/propositions
- Ensure that content and materials (e.g. capability statements, deal lists, CVs) suitable for BDMC purposes are captured, kept up-to-date, and shared; developing new materials for prioritized and additional services lines and opportunities as required
About The Team
The BDMC function works closely with our Partners and leadership teams to:
- Increase our revenue, profitability and share across markets, industries and clients
- Enable us to win, retain and grow business through powerful pitches, engaging thought leadership and strong relationship management
- Lead market & client intelligence efforts to create new service line opportunities in industry and practice groups
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through a single communications voice
This role will report to the Business Development Manager.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- Line management
- BDMC colleagues in Specialist functions
- Partners and lawyers
- Profession Business Services (PBS) colleagues
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree desirable
- Demonstrable experience in a marketing and/or business development role, preferably in a professional services environment
- Experience working with stakeholders and developing relationships
- Strong judgment and a demonstrable track record for confidently suggesting well-reasoned independent strategic recommendations and ideas
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability effectively to co-ordinate competing priorities
- Good, developed a practical understanding of marketing and communications
- Self-motivated and independent, able to work with a minimum of supervision
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in a matrix organization
- Strong interpersonal skills, including pleasant nature and ability to collaborate with others
- High degree of attention to detail
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 74 offices in 45 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 1,000 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
Thomson Reuters (formerly Acritas' Sharplegal) Global Elite Law Firm Brand Index, 2010- 2022 - ranked 1st
The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2021-2022: currently ranked 52nd
Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
Law360 ranked the Firm as one of the 400 Largest US Law Firms in in its annual survey in 2020.
Identified as one of the Hall of Fame for best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, 2011-2021.
Received a a Gold Award in Stonewall's Global Workplace Equality Index of Top Global Employers for LGBTQ+ Inclusion.
Ranked as one of the Top 20 Employers in the 2023 Social Mobility Employer Index.
Received Double Certification for earning top marks in the 2022 Corporate Equality Index and Equidad MX of the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
Winner of the Europe Mentorship Programme - International Firm award in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Europe Awards 2021
Winner of the Gender Diversity International Firm, Talent Management International Firm, and Work-Life Balance International Firm awards in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Asia Awards 2021
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5752 or David.Roberts@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.