We are currently seeking an ambitious and talented U.S. law qualified Senior Associate to focus on Derivatives transactional work and U.S. derivatives regulatory matters. The team also offers the opportunity to work on securitisation, debt capital markets and corporate trustees. Duties include:
- Advising clients on a wide range of matters, with a particular focus on corporate trustee, securitisation, debt capital markets and derivatives (both transactional and U.S. regulatory matters).
- Associates work in a collegiate environment, for a range of partners, and can expect a good variety of work. Given the international nature of the firm, experience of working in other jurisdictions will be helpful.
- Associates are given regular and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
- Developing relationships with clients including gaining a good knowledge of the client’s businesses, economic drivers, market and sector requirements in order to ensure advice is relevant and commercial.
- Engaging in business development activities and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work
Headed by Simon Porter, Baker McKenzie’s London Structured Capital Markets team covers securitisation, debt capital markets, corporate trust and derivatives.
The team has extensive experience in innovative structures and regularly advises corporates, leading financial institutions, investment banks, rating agencies and corporate trustees as well as originators, arrangers and sponsors of securitisation transactions on a wide range of UK and international securitisation and repackaging transactions, commercial paper conduits, derivative structures and regulation and other structured transactions, across a wide range of asset classes.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- A U.S. law qualified lawyer with excellent academics
- Substantial derivatives experience gained within an international or City firm
- Experience of complex derivatives transactions and U.S. regulatory matters relating to derivatives
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative, proactivity and an entrepreneurial mind-set
- Ability to manage and develop others
- Strong analytical skills
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Able to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Flexible work practices and ability to adapt style as required
- Strong team player who works well across borders with clients and colleagues from various jurisdictions
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International
Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact, in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Senior Recruitment Officer on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Posting date: 22 October 2020
Closing date: 20 November 2020
Salary: Market rate
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women’s Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!