We are looking for a motivated and capable senior level associate for our highly regarded Intellectual Property and Technology (IPTech) team at Baker McKenzie to focus on transactional work with a particular emphasis on the life sciences industries.
The role will have the following core focus:
- Working with our corporate teams on complex commercial agreements required as part of corporate transactions in the life sciences and other industries (e.g. Manufacturing and Supply Agreements, Distribution Agreements, Collaboration Agreements and Transitional Services Agreements).
- "Stand-alone" contracting work for the life sciences sector, particularly IP licensing, technology transfer, collaboration and R&D Agreements, but also distribution agreements, contract manufacturing/supply, contract research, contract sales and clinical trial agreements.
- Building and consolidating our knowledge and understanding of the healthcare industry, commercial terms and structures that are considered "market" and developing our profile for work in that area.
- Working with our global licensing teams (in particular our East Coast US team) to develop our expertise and build the licensing practice.
- Being an active part in local and regional industry group activities. e.g. Zurich compliance event, annual industry group meeting, London office focus group.
The role would be sponsored and supported by our wider team including partners Duncan Reid-Thomas and Hiroshi Sheraton. It would also involve working closely with other associates in the life sciences team and a highly skilled team of new KM lawyers with deep industry knowledge. A global KM lawyer joining from the now relocated European Medicines agency started in September and the new IP/Tech KM lawyer has a healthcare practice background.
- We see a real opportunity for a senior associate to focus specifically on this sector with a view to building a partner case over the next few years.
- Our client base in the industry is stellar. We work for the biggest pharmaceutical companies and the biggest technology companies in the life sciences sector. Our key clients in this industry include GSK, Servier, Lifescan, Seqirus, ICU Medical, Biogen, Deepmind, Basilea, Novo Nordisk, Shionogi, IQVIA, and Intuitive. As would be expected for our firm, most of our work is international in nature and our clients are usually sophisticated multinationals.
Our market profile is "under-weight" for the quality and type of work we do in this area. This is an opportunity for the right person to develop a leading reputation in a specialised field.
Key Skills and Experience Required
The ideal candidate should be:
- An experienced Senior Associate from a leading firm with experience of complex commercial agreements within life sciences and other industries
- A "self-starter" who is collaborative, pragmatic, commercial and adaptable in their approach.
- Prepared to invest time in developing a diverse range of skills that may not align neatly with a particular practice group.
- Genuinely enthusiastic about the life sciences industries.
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Initiative and proactivity
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
The candidate will have had some experience of working for clients in the industry, although the type of work and level of experience is flexible.
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Gareth Newbery, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5743 or Gareth.Newbery@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.