We are seeking an experienced, technically excellent and ambitious senior corporate M&A associate with a keen interest in the energy, mining and infrastructure sectors for a role within our market-leading London Energy, Mining & Infrastructure (EMI) Group.
The EMI Group is a multi-disciplinary industry-focussed practice group, which includes corporate, M&A, projects, Renewables, financing and construction specialists working together on some of the largest and most innovative transactions for a wide range of clients across the EMI sector. The EMI team in London consists of over 30 lawyers who form the core of the leading European Energy Practice we are building together with our EMI colleagues across EMEA. Our global EMI Group is one of the largest in the world, with over 1,000 lawyers involved in EMI/EMI Projects globally.
With its deep industry focus and expertise and established key client relationships, the EMI team is uniquely positioned to help our clients navigate the new and challenging energy landscape. It is an exciting and innovative time in the sector, with a transformational change to energy systems on a scale that has not been seen before and the team is looking to grow to take advantage of the opportunities that the changing world is bringing to our clients. We currently have a very strong pipeline of transactions, involving both traditional assets and increasingly renewables, cleantech and digital ventures.
Our clients include some of the pre-eminent global energy and resources groups, including panel appointments for BP, Shell, Rio Tinto and Vale, as well as financial sponsors, infrastructure investment funds and portfolio companies. Recent headline M&A transactions the group has worked on include advising:
- Shell, in its acquisition of sonnen, the German battery manufacturer and leader in smart energy storage systems for households.
- Lightsource BP, on the establishment of a £1bn solar asset investment partnership with BlackRock.
- Westinghouse, in relation to its emergence from Chapter 11 and $4.6bn sale to Brookfield.
- Hitachi, on its $11bn acquisition of part of the Swiss engineering group ABB.
- Tailwind Energy, in connection with its acquisition of UKCS oil and gas assets from EOG.
- ZCCM, on the acquisition of a $1.5bn copper asset from Glencore.
- Fiera Infrastructure Inc., on the acquisition of 41MW of UK solar asssets from Macquarie Group.
The role includes the full scope of responsibility expected of an M&A associate in a leading cross-border transactional practice, including in particular:
- Front-line management of deals, including drafting, negotiating, control of due diligence and disclosure exercises and closings, managing projects to a budget, and taking responsibility for client satisfaction.
- Advising clients on a wide range of corporate matters, with a particular focus on complex, strategic cross-border M&A and joint ventures in the energy and natural resources sectors.
- Leading multi-party negotiations and successfully project managing relevant aspects of large-scale complex transactions across multiple jurisdictions.
- Engaging in business development activities and being active in the promotion of the Firm and seeking opportunities for new work principally through peer-to-peer relationship building within clients and intermediaries. The group is highly entrepreneurial and actively encourages associates across all grades to develop client relationships in a wide range of settings.
- Being responsible for frequent and direct contact with clients, with a culture based on associates being given the level of responsibility they are ready for, rather than a PQE based method of work allocation.
While experience in the EMI group's industry sector is helpful, the team's priority is to meet candidates with top-tier M&A experience who are enthusiastic about the sector and are keen to learn from their specialist colleagues.
The EMI group forms a core part of the wider London Corporate department, which is the largest within the office and sits at the heart of the firm's business. The Corporate department provides skilled M&A (public and private), capital markets, private equity, projects, reorganisations and financial services advice, alongside traditional company law, board level compliance and corporate governance support, to a wide range of clients, including listed PLCs, financial institutions and major multinational corporates. Our practice is broad, and much of what we do is cross-border.
The London Corporate team has over 150 fee earners and business professionals, and over 1,000 lawyers involved in EMI / EMI Projects globally. Our clients include nearly all of the world's 100 largest public companies and more than three-quarters of the Fortune 500.
Key Skills and Experience Required
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- A qualified lawyer with top academics credentials
- Current experience in the corporate department of a leading City or US firm, with a keen interest and/or experience in the energy and natural resources sectors.
- First rate technical skills needed to support the client work of the department.
- The ability to confidently demonstrate a strong understanding of the law and how it affects our corporate clients, alongside good commercial awareness of how their businesses operate.
- Demonstrable business development experience, including the ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for these relationships.
- Outstanding communication and drafting skills and the ability to adapt style as required.
- Initiative and proactivity.
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture.
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually, and taking an active part in sharing knowledge and experience with the team.
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business
- Law Awards 2019.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7052 5752 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.