To act as an escalation point for the AML analysts for client due diligence and AML policy queries. This role requires risk based analysis and decision making and proactive validation of required information to support timely client on-boarding and matter processing in-line with regulatory requirements. As part of this role, you will also undertake AML processes such as Client Due Diligence (CDD), Risk Assessment Review, Monitoring and Reporting at a senior, experienced level. You will also assist Management with AML compliance based projects. Where there is a business need, you will also be responsible for client on-boarding and conducting periodic reviews.
- Review and assess the AML and reputational risks associated with new client and matter requests
- Review and respond to escalations from the AML Risk & Compliance team, liaising with the AML Deputy and AML Compliance Manager where necessary
- Provide AML advice and support to internal stakeholders: Partners, Fee Earners, PAs
- Deal with complex client due diligence queries and advise on queries regarding third party payers with minimal supervision
- Interact with partners and fee earners to collect mandatory documentation required to complete CDD successfully, reviewing and verifying documentation received
- Perform client due diligence and screening for PEPs, Sanctions, Adverse Media etc., utilising a number of trusted industry sources
- Disposition screening alerts making a determination on true or false matches, escalating if required
- Thoroughly document research and analysis completed on clients and/or matters in a manner suitable for review by internal and external stakeholders e.g. Regulators, Audit, AML Compliance Manager
- Perform and review client and matter risk assessments and make risk based decisions based on the analysis undertaken
- Complete appropriate research in order to obtain a good understanding of a client’s business and related parties in order to monitor client’s activities for unusual transactions
- Perform investigations where there are ML/CTF suspicions regarding clients and/or matters and escalate findings clearly and concisely for internal review by the AML Compliance Manager, MLCO and MLRO
- Manage relationships with key internal stakeholders; Partners, Fee Earners, PAs, Matter Management, New Business Intake, AML Compliance Manager, MLCO, MLRO
- Act as a point of contact for the New Business Intake team and other internal teams in order to resolve challenges with matter opening timely and efficiently
- Periodically evaluate existing clients working with Partners and Fee Earners in order to keep CDD and risk assessments on client files up to date
- Assist with AML Compliance related matters or projects as identified and assigned by the AML Deputy Manager and/or AML Compliance Manager
About The Team
The Operations function provides the following services to the Firm:
- Support strategic decision making from a risk management perspective
- Manage the Firm's exposure to risk via the early identification of possible Conflicts of Interest, Anti-Money Laundering / Know Your Client compliance issues and employ risk mitigation strategies to minimise the Firm's exposure
- Manage Partner compliance to the provisions outlined in the Firm's Attorney Manual
- Manage risk connected to client contractual agreements with the Firm
- Support the Firm's client on-boarding and matter opening process
This role will report to the AML Compliance Manager and AML Deputy Manager.
The key relationships of this role will be with the following:
- AML Deputy Manager
- AML Compliance Manager
- AML Risk & Compliance Team
- Senior Risk & Compliance Associate
- Money Laundering Compliance Officer (MLCO)
- In-Market lawyers and management
- In-Market business teams
- New Business Intake\
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor's degree required (2:1 or above preferred)
- Law degree / LPC preferred
- Strong understanding of AML/CTF requirements and financial crime risks associated with the range of services in the legal industry
- Relevant AML experience, preferably in an international law firm
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Experience of AML/KYC/Due Diligence processes and systems
- Experience with AML monitoring and screening
- Ability to manage processes efficiently, with accuracy and attention to detail
- A recognized AML/Compliance qualification is desirable but not essential
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Strong decision making capabilities
- Team player adaptable to fast-paced and changing environment
- Good planning, time management and prioritisation skills
- Ability to work independently and also to liaise with other departments
- Must have good knowledge of Microsoft office applications and other Productivity Tools (Intapp knowledge is an advantage)
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5731 or email@example.com.
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee-led networks that champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.