Role Type: Full-time (willing to consider flexible working arrangements), Permanent
The Risk & Compliance team works closely with the Managing Partner of the London office, the firm's MLRO, and the Directors of the firm's business service teams. The team is led by the General Counsel/Head of Risk & Compliance and currently comprises two Associates, an AML Compliance Manager, a team of AML Analysts, a paralegal, and one PA.
- Providing data protection advice to the London office in relation to new processes, contracts and inclusion & diversity initiatives.
- Providing legal support (drafting and negotiating contractual terms) to the business support teams in relation to the procurement of goods and services for the London office and working with the Firm's Global procurement function in respect of the same.
- Supporting risk management activities and acting as day-to-day lead on risk mitigation projects
- Supporting the implementation of and providing ongoing support with compliance initiatives across the office, including the development of policies, design, and delivery of training where necessary.
- Advising partners and fee earners about conflicts of interest, terms of engagement, and outside counsel guidelines.
- Advising partners, fee earners, and business services staff about applicable law, regulation, and policies.
- Supporting with constitutional, structural, and governance matters, including the appointment and withdrawal of members, maintenance of statutory registers, and records, and the coordination of meetings of members.
- Supporting with employment-related issues, including drafting and negotiating consultancy arrangements and secondment letters, and advising about potential employment-related claims.
- Supporting the Claims Partner, assisting and supporting them about PI and commercial claims against the LLP and debt recovery action on behalf of the LLP
About The Team
The Operations function has a wide remit, including fulfilling the following functions:
- Risk Management, Regulatory advice, and Compliance
- General Counsel
- Business Protection
- Partnership Secretariat
The London Risk & Compliance team has a wide remit, including fulfilling the following functions:
- Firm risk management
- Legal, regulatory, and policy compliance
- General Counsel and advisory
- Partnership Secretariat
- Business Protection
This role will report to the General Counsel/Head of Risk & Compliance.
The key relationships of this role are with the Risk & Compliance Associates, Risk & Compliance Paralegal, Heads of Function, lawyers, and business service professionals across the Firm.
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Qualified lawyer with strong PQE and with experience operating as a Private Practice or In-House lawyer with strong knowledge of risk and compliance matters
- Ideally experience of people/employment matters
- Ability to manage own workload albeit with support from other members of the team when required
- Ability to work well in a small team environment whilst building excellent working relationships with other departments across the office
- Commercially minded with experience in drafting legal documents to a high level
- Excellent academic background with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Confidence in working with and advising partners across the firm
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social, and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distills a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Has a capacity to take on new ideas and develop knowledge and think holistically about business and address media, analyst, employee, and client audiences
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with the agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative, and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Uses complex, coordinated influencing/negotiation strategies, adapted to people, organizations, and/or the situation, e.g. networks
- Leverages direct reports to facilitate increased collaboration across the organization
- Builds partnerships based on a common agreement that acknowledges individual differences but creates a new commonality beyond root belief large-scale
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve mutually satisfactory outcome; shows good judgment on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures, and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Thomson Reuters (formerly Acritas' Sharplegal) Global Elite Law Firm Brand Index, 2010- 2022 - ranked 1st
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2021-2022: currently ranked 52nd
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as one of the 400 Largest US Law Firms in in its annual survey in 2020.
- Identified as one of the Hall of Fame for best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, 2011-2021.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top 100 Employers for LGBTQ+, 2017-2020.
- Ranked as one of the Top 75 Employers in the 2021 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Received Double Certification for earning top marks in the 2022 Corporate Equality Index and Equidad MX of the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
- Winner of the Europe Mentorship Programme - International Firm award in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Europe Awards 2021
- Winner of the Gender Diversity International Firm, Talent Management International Firm, and Work-Life Balance International Firm awards in the Euromoney Women in Business Law Asia Awards 2021
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.