To manage all aspects of resourcing within the Corporate Department to achieve business goals, whilst balancing client requirements and individual career aspirations.
We are looking to recruit someone who is a self-starter and can develop and drive new initiatives, alongside retaining full responsibility for 'doing' the resource management, down to the lowest level of detail.
To work with the Department Manager, Group Leaders and Business Manager to support the firm's commitment to higher organisational performance and a diverse and inclusive culture. You will report directly to the Senior Business Manager, supporting the whole department.
This role is a people focused role founded on effective working relationships with all staff, at all levels across the department.
- Build and demonstrate detailed knowledge of the department, and its work requirements.
- Proactive liaison with partners and associates to understand client requirements and the wider needs of the business, to facilitate effective resourcing decisions.
- Acquire knowledge of individual skills, development needs, experiences and personal/professional aspirations and apply this knowledge in resourcing decisions.
- Intended to be the responsible person for all work allocation across the department, on behalf of the Partners.
- Allocating work fairly and consistently, reflective of our diversity objectives.
- Applying commercial considerations to work allocation as required, encouraging appropriate staffing leverage, and alternate delivery options for work such as the use of our low cost centres.
- Development and management of work allocation tools, including the firms existing Capacity Tracker. Ensure accurate forecasting of individual activity by tracking activity data and analysing this against actual time recording, flagging any discrepancies to individuals and escalating where required.
- Monitor chargeable hours figures and utilisation by individual / grade / team. Work with individuals to improve their productivity and highlight potential shortfalls / over-utilisation to Partners and management as required.
- Management of timesheet policy enforcement within the department - encouraging best practice, raising awareness, and training.
- Working with HR and other stakeholders, coordinate absences including holidays, special leave, unpaid leave - ensuring awareness across the department and resourcing requirements can be fulfilled at all times.
- Work on initial ATP requests and working with Talent/BD leads to form initial business case before informing Business Manager.
Work with Partners and other stakeholders to coordinate non-billable commitments.
- Support the joiner/leaver/returner process, supporting work reallocation, and on-boarding.
- In conjunction with the Business Manager, assess and plan future resource requirements based on projected workflows and wider needs of the business.
- Business forecasting e.g. chargeable hours, utilisation and headcount against budget and driving actions and behaviours accordingly
- Ensuring the appropriate utilisation and performance drivers are fed into the business’ performance management process, working with HR and other stakeholders.
- Being visible and accessible to the department, allowing for constant communication and a 'live' accurate view of activity and capacity across the group - the 'go to' person for all things work allocation and resourcing, including systems and process expertise.
- Produce accurate and commercially focussed Management Information (MI) for the Department, identifying trends, opportunities, and risks.
- Strive for continuous improvement and innovation - playing a pivotal role in delivering to the departments performance.
- Work collaboratively with other key functions - i.e. Finance / HR / Business Development / etc. in the development of business performance and business cases for recruitment.
- Develop systems, tools, and processes that are transferable, efficient, replicable, and scalable across the department and wider office.
- Encourage and champion mobilisation across the EMEA+ Corporate workforce.
- Share knowledge and best practice across the department and wider business.
About The Team
The London Corporate department provides comprehensive M&A, corporate finance, capital markets, and private equity advice to a wide range of leading international clients. The department is one of the most active transactional law firms for cross-border M&A work by volume, offering specialist industry knowledge and teams that are leading in their fields.
Whilst the resource management will be specifically for the London Corporate department, the resource manager will be the contact point to address redeployment and mobility across EMEA+ working closely as applicable with local office leads.
This role will report directly to the Senior Business Manager.
The key relationships of this role will be with the Corporate fee earners including DMs, and PGLs as well as BMs and HR.
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Experienced with established resource management across one or more professional services organisations.
- Comfortable launching a new role and service, drawing on best practice and operating without existing structure.
- Motivated by the day to day 'doing' of resource management, covering all levels of detail, and making a continuous positive difference to the business performance.
- An interest in innovation, and exploiting technology to keep the focus on leading the field, not following.
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
- Prior experience in a resource management, manpower/workforce planning or similar role is critical - ideally within a large professional or corporate environment.
- Experience of Corporate work (M&A, PE, Corporate Finance), and working within a medium – large sized law firm is advantageous but not essential.
- Outstanding stakeholder engagement skills at all levels, the ability to build relationships quickly and flex approach to be credible to a variety of audiences
- Strong influencing skills at all levels.
- Good problem solver and decision maker - exercises good judgement, knows when to flag issues and when to deal with independently.
- Ability to work with tight deadlines in a fast moving environment - balancing competing demands.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Confident and resilient to deal with challenges - experience of conflict resolution.
- Commercial and risk focussed with good operational business acumen
- Trusted advisor who provides balanced, pragmatic advice around manpower planning and resource management to the business
- Proactive with a positive, flexible, assertive attitude
- Strong IT skills – including data analytics in excel. Experience of working with resource management/manpower planning software would be advantageous
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
Know how, e.g.,
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
Personal Impact, e.g.,
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2019 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2015-18
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Acritas recognized the Firm as the world's strongest legal brand for the ninth year in a row.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- The Firm was honoured to be one of Stonewall's 2019 Top Global Employers and the top Global LGBT+ Network of the Year, as well as one of only 10 employers to feature in the 'Top Trans Employer' listing for a second consecutive year.
- Social Mobility Employer Index, 2019 - ranked 5th
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact, in confidence, Recruitment Manager on +97144230000.
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA - since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.