To manage recruiting activities for certain practice groups and business services functions across the London office and support other offices in EMEA+ where required. Ensure all candidates receive a world-class candidate experience throughout the recruitment and selection process, with a focus on continuous improvement. Work as part of the wider regional recruitment team and in close collaboration with the Recruitment Manager and Associate Director in London driving and implementing regional / global recruitment plans and strategy.
- Manage and execute associate / fee-earner recruitment and PBS recruitment, working with others across multiple offices as required
- Driving creative sourcing methodologies, focusing on direct sourcing in support of the Firm's direct hiring strategy across all populations, reducing dependency on agencies
- Lead and/or actively participate in one recruitment work-stream and the agreed sub-streams to develop and implement recruitment objectives, whilst ensuring recruiting professionals are aligned on recruitment execution
- Ensure effective coordination with the End to End (E2E) team across all service level requests to ensure support is seamless, efficient and provides high quality candidate experience
- Effectively and proactively manage all internal and external relationships, developing trusted advisor status - ensure all internal clients are kept fully informed around the status of their vacancies, working closely with stakeholders to ensure a first class recruitment experience; ensure external contacts, including recruitment agencies / head-hunters and candidates are kept up to date with progress and of any wider firm updates and appropriate communications / collateral to support the Firm's brand as an employer of choice and to ensure a first class recruitment experience
- Provide regular MI reporting, metrics and status updates as required to key stakeholders, including Recruitment Leadership Team, working with E2E team
- Work closely with Talent Management to ensure seamless transition post acceptance, providing a first class candidate experience
- Network with Firm partners, legal recruiters and other law firm recruitment professionals in an effort to stay abreast of trends and activity in the legal community
- Mentor and develop junior recruitment professionals, as required
Lateral Associate / Fee-earner Recruitment
- Manage and execute recruitment activities, including but not limited to, managing vacancies, developing and managing relations with preferred agencies/search firms and other legal industry organisations to promote the Firm and lateral opportunities; proactively working with regional practice groups and hiring managers to manage recruitment process from sourcing to hire, advising on and implementing best in class recruiting processes, with support from E2E teams; collaborate with Talent Business Partners e.g. on hiring forecasts, talent pipelines and post offer as required
Professional Business Services Recruitment
- Manage and execute recruitment activities, including but not limited to, managing vacancies, developing and managing relations with preferred agencies/search firms, sourcing, interviewing and assessment for PBS positions, in conjunction with Recruitment Manager, PBS (TBC), as required
- Annual recruitment budget development for designated office and monthly compliance of same
- Conducting interviews as and when required and possible
- In conjunction with Recruitment Team Leadership, conduct reviews of processes and procedures to ensure recruitment best practice and local / regional compliance, whilst ensuring Baker McKenzie is the employer of choice
- Develop recruiting initiatives that positively impact the overall recruitment of diverse candidates, ensuring that all recruitment activity and processes support and are aligned with the firms Diversity & Inclusion ("D&I") strategy, working closely with other recruitment, talent and D&I professionals
- Develop and lead / participate in a minimum of one FY recruiting project as it relates to a designated recruitment work-stream and sub-streams; Participate in one FY recruiting project outside their designated work-stream; Participate / lead ad-hoc recruitment projects as and when required
- Provide support, as and when required, to the Recruitment Leadership Team and other offices on key pieces of recruitment activity or projects
- Participate in various recruiter organisations to increase personal networking, knowledge sharing and promotion of the Firm
- Hosting agency briefings and events when applicable
About The Team
The Firm's People function has responsibility for recruiting, supporting and developing all of the Firm's people, including our Partners, Lawyers and Professional & Business Services, working closely with the Firm's leadership to design and deliver the Firm's people strategy, building on the firm's core commitments to collaboration, excellence and inclusivity. The function includes:
- Talent Management
- Recruitment & Mobility
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Leadership & Learning
- Careers & Performance & Rewards, and
- Partner Services
This role will report to the Associate Director of Recruitment, EMEA+
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- In-market Talent Management/Recruitment colleagues
- Relevant Hiring Partners/Hiring Committee Members
- Regional Recruitment team / Leadership
- Office Managing Partner
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Proven recruiting experience in a professional services organization and/or large law firm, preferably with multi-office and in support of a diverse base of legal practices
- Strong track record in direct sourcing methodologies and delivery
- Well-developed and sophisticated written and oral communication, interpersonal and presentation skills, with a proven ability to relate to and gain the confidence of people at all levels within an organization
- Able to bring good judgement and empathy to sensitive situations
- Strong organizational skills and must be able to meet deadlines and multi-task in a matrix, fast-paced, professional services environment
- Be an active member of various recruiter organizations and networking groups
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent preferred but not essential
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Gareth Newbery, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5743 or email@example.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women’s Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.