The Global Strategy Group (GSG) exists to help define and implement Baker McKenzie's Firm Strategy, and support the business in its goal of becoming the global law firm of choice.
It works closely with the firm's Executive Committee and Global Leadership team to develop the overall strategy and determine how this should be operationalised in our regions and markets. The work of the team covers all aspects of our approach including organic and inorganic routes for strengthening our capabilities, how we compete and collaborate in the professional services ecosystem, our operating model and our key processes.
We are looking for a Strategy Implementation & Project Executive to co-ordinate projects, conduct research, analysis and report drafting, in a role which will support the Directors in the team and the Chief Strategy Officer to deliver strategy projects. This is an excellent opportunity to gain strategy development experience in a highly regarded Global Strategy Group of a leading global law firm, that is intent on disrupting the market and further enhancing its reputation.
The role involves working closely with senior internal stakeholders, other professional services departments in Baker McKenzie and with external consultants. This is a global role and the scope of the work will reflect that.
The successful candidate will have an excellent academic record. They are likely have worked in a strategy, research or analytics environment already, either in a professional services firm, or a corporate. As a result they will be experienced and proficient in research and analysis. Whether or not they have prior experience in strategy development, they will have excellent communications skills, strong critical reasoning and a desire to succeed in a fast moving and challenging environment.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Co-ordinate market and competitor research to understand macro-economic trends, strategies and performance of competitors (traditional and new), industry sectors, clients and geographic markets
- Liaising with other professional services teams to get information and insights required, e.g. Business Intelligence, Finance
- Analysis of external and internal data to generate insights and support the development of strategy recommendations
- Assisting with the writing of strategy presentations and reports
- Project planning, coordination and delivery of strategic projects, including helping to create project plans, helping coordinate internal and external contributors to strategy projects, monitoring and reporting on progress
- Assist the strategic planning process, including tracking progress and reporting against KPIs once agreed, dashboard reporting, progress reviews on strategic priorities and preparing for strategy meetings
- Assist with the communication of our strategy including ownership of the strategy intranet site
- Help to manage the partnership with the World Economic Forum
- Budget management and tracking
Key Skills and Experience Required
The successful candidate will have:
- Excellent academics
- First-rate written and oral communication skills
- A high level of attention to detail
- The ability to take the initiative and be a self starter;
- Strong analytic capabilities and the ability to put together coherent, tightly reasoned arguments and recommendations
- An ability to understand the big picture (e.g. macro-economic trends, competitive forces) and draw out the implications for our business
- The ability to transition across projects.
- Good problem solving skills
- A collaborative, team oriented and 'Firm first' mind-set
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
- Prior experience of working in a similar environment (strategy, business intelligence, analytics) for a professional services organisation, technology business or financial institution is desirable
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2016 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2016: currently ranked 57th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017: currently ranked 7th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or via email.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Mona Ranga, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5739 or via email.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.