We are looking for a motivated and capable mid-level Patent Lawyer to join our highly-regarded Intellectual Property department at Baker McKenzie LLP.
Patent work within the London group is led at partner level by Hiroshi Sheraton, and supported by associates at all levels. The work is predominantly contentious in nature and includes litigation before the English courts and EPO oppositions and co-ordination of litigation in other jurisdictions. It also includes advisory work and the opportunity to get involved with patent-related transactional IP (licensing, M&A support etc) and disputes relating to such transactions.
Our clients are drawn from a diverse range of industries and include pharmaceutical/biotech, industrials, FMCG and electronics. As would be expected for our firm, most of our work is international in nature and our clients are usually sophisticated multinationals.
The patents group are very busy, with two High Court trials listed for later this year and a number of other ongoing matters, including assisting clients with patent issues on a variety of COVID-19 related projects. The level of patent work has risen quickly and we are now looking to supplement the team at mid-level with an associate (preferably with a technical background) who would focus on patent work. We are not looking for a background in any specific area of science but a willingness to learn about new technology areas quickly is an absolute must.
Duties will include:
- Analysing patents for validity and infringement opinions;
- Day to day conduct of contentious matters, with support of more experienced professionals such as drafting inter-party correspondence, working with experts and drafting reports, reporting to clients
- Interactions with Courts, EPO, UKIPO, foreign associates
- Legal and technical research
- Due diligence and transactional support on patent matters (e.g. assignments/licences)
- Interface with adjacent practice areas (parallel trade, exhaustion, competition)
- Supporting business and client development initiatives and training and development of more junior team members
Why should you apply for this role?
Our London patent practice is burgeoning and has grown significantly over the past few years. This is a rare opportunity to join an already busy and successful team with strong ambitions for further growth and a clear springboard to achieve that through the Baker McKenzie network and client base. Furthermore, while ambitious and hard-working, the team is also friendly and supportive and even before the COVID pandemic fully embraced agile working.
Baker McKenzie was one of the first law firms to recognise Intellectual Property as a legal specialism in its own right, and was a pioneer in establishing an international network of IP practitioners who are able to service the cross border needs of international patent owners. Today, Baker McKenzie has over 500 IP professionals around the world, working together as a cohesive unit to provide a range of comprehensive IP and patents portfolio management services to the Firm's global clients.
Our Intellectual Property Department has remarkable depth and breadth of intellectual property knowledge, founded on a unique combination of domestic and global IP capabilities. We represent many of /the world’s best known IP owners in industries as diverse as FMCG, fashion, retail, IT, pharmaceuticals, e-commerce, biotechnology, energy, hotels, manufacturing and media/entertainment.
At the cutting edge of IP law developments, we provide innovative advice in both contentious and transactional situations across the full range of IP: including trade marks; copyright and designs; confidential information, and patents. We provide a dedicated IP enforcement and anti-piracy service, and offer a uniquely integrated IP and trade mark prosecution service.
Our global IP practice group comprises more than 450 lawyers who are considered leading practitioners in their local markets, and who work together daily to provide a seamless and fully integrated service. Indeed, the ability of our global practice group to deliver multijurisdictional, value added advice is one that no one else can match.
Since 1962, we have helped the world's leading multinational companies in all aspects of the acquisition, protection, enforcement and exploitation of their IP rights. Our global coverage, high-quality work and commitment to client service are reflected in the recognition we receive within the legal industry. Since 2009, our practice has been ranked Band 1 by Chambers Global and we were named "Global Law Firm of the Year" at the 2017 Managing Intellectual Property awards.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- Prior experience in the patents field in a patent or trade mark attorney firm or a law firm
- Excellent academic credentials
- Strong team player
- Good communicator both orally and in writing
- Able to demonstrate initiative and pro-activity
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact, in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.