We are currently looking to recruit a mid- senior level Wealth Management Associate to join the team. This represents an exciting opportunity for the right individual. The Associate will be pivotal to the continuing success of the London office particularly in relation to cross-border initiatives/transactions for wealthy individuals and financial institutions/trustees. This Associate will have an important role, working closely with both the junior and senior associates in the team as well as the Partners. Notwithstanding that, and perhaps more importantly, we expect the Associate to have an immediate and managing role directly with our clients and other offices across EMEA and globally.
The role will be complex and wide-ranging, and will involve:
- Providing advice to internationally mobile clients, including for foreign nationals and entrepreneurs living and/or investing in the UK, advising on planning structures and undertaking substantial cross-border and tax transactions for high value clients/financial institutions
- Developing ongoing relationships with an existing client base as well as develop new contacts
- Developing close working relationships with colleagues in overseas offices actively involved in this field including Zurich, Hong Kong, Miami, Geneva, New York, Palo Alto, Moscow and Singapore
- Further promoting close working relationships with other departments within the London office including the Litigation, Employee Benefit and Tax teams
- Taking an active role in the prestigious International Tax and Trust Training conferences held by the firm and in external speaking engagements
- Engaging in business development activities and being active in the promotion of the firm and seeking opportunities for new work
- Working as part of a team including assisting with the supervision of junior lawyers’ work, and taking an active part in sharing knowledge and experience with the team
The Wealth Management group provides UK and International tax and wealth planning advice to leading private banks and trust companies and to wealthy individuals. Wealth Management sits within the firm's wider Tax practice, comprising fifteen partners and over 50 associates.
Our Wealth Management team specialises in advising high net worth individuals, families and financial institutions/trustees on complex cross-border tax and trust related issues, including advising high net worth individuals on strategic offshore tax planning and asset structuring, advising on the establishment of family offices and their running and advising on pre-litigation strategy and tax investigations.
In particular, the team often advises on legal and tax issues relating to the succession of substantial family owned businesses and the creation of/or legal and tax issues that arise in connection with structures for asset protection and wealth preservation.
The team advises clients from Europe and globally and often advises clients from the high growth economies.
Some of the team accolades include:
- International Law Firm of the Year 2021, 2018 Citywealth Magic Circle Awards
- Private Client Team of the Year 2020 Legal Business Awards
- Private Client Team of the Year 2020 (Highly Commended) British Legal Awards
- Top 25 Law Firms 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 Private Client Practitioner
- Top 50 Tax Advisers 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017: Ashley Crossley Spears
Baker McKenzie is well known for advising high net worth individuals and families on complex international matters. An impressed source enthuses: "They have a real depth of experience. They are very collaborative and innovative, especially with families from the Middle East. When you're dealing with ultra wealthy families, the Baker McKenzie brand brings real gravitas." Chambers HNW
"My experience working with them is excellent. They are a really great firm," says an interviewee, before continuing: "I think what stands out about them is that they have everything you're looking for. They're incredibly responsive, they have bright lawyers that are quick to spot issues and they are able to find solutions to problems that arise." Chambers HNW
The team is "extremely strong and very proactive. Its breadth of knowledge particularly in respect of the interaction of legal and tax issues and also the important cross-border aspects is second-to-none". Other sources add "the team is always available to meet our deadlines and solves our issues and provides clear advice" and "this practice is unique because the team responds very fast, right to the point, and provides clear and helpful advice." Legal 500
Key Skills and Experience Required
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- A qualified wealth management associate/ tax advisor (mid-senior lawyer or accountant) with experience of UK tax planning for international and UK UHNW individuals and families and their family offices
- Strong experience and detailed knowledge of the taxation of UK resident non-UK domiciliaries and international tax planning
Previous experience at a London firm or a leading regional law firm with a strong specialisation in this field or an accountancy firm
- First rate technical skills needed to support the client work of the department
- Strong personal skills to develop a client-facing role for a culturally diverse client base
- Commerciality and demonstrable business development experience
- Excellent written communication and drafting skills
- Excellent academic credentials
- Ability to work independently
- Initiative and proactivity
- Maturity and gravitas
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- High work standards
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- A keenness to learn
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
The Leveraged Finance team is at the forefront of the firm's strategy to grow its transactional practice group. The team has seen significant growth over the past three years. It is now a very exciting time to join this entrepreneurial and dynamic team which offers a range of opportunities to take your career to the next level.
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Vanessa Renforth, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5731 or Vanessa.Renforth@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women’s Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.