We are looking for a Proposals Manager/Senior Manager to join the Business Development team at Baker McKenzie in London.
This role requires gravitas and expertise in order to win the confidence of partners and clients and help drive the office's 'Client Driven Strategy' which focuses on building client relationships, revenues, profitability and our brand. If you are an experienced Proposals Senior Manager, or Business Development Senior Manager with extensive pitch experience, this role offers you the opportunity to take your career to the next level working at an award winning Firm.
As Proposals Manager/Senior Manager, you will be responsible for managing strategic, cross practice pitches for the Europe, Middle East, Africa (EMEA) region; working in conjunction with local and global resources.
This role will involve leading the pitch process from beginning to end, including:
- go/no go decision making
- strategic planning and drafting of pitches
- coaching lawyers on presentations
- post pitch client reviews
- pitch analysis and trends
- sharing best practices and pitch statistics
In essence, you have the opportunity to make a tangible difference, improving the team's pitch capability and taking it to the next level. Baker & McKenzie's Business Development and Marketing team is highly regarding within the organisation and at the heart of the Firm's business.
The aim is to embed, manage and constantly improve a better model for new business bids, proposals, pitches and tenders that maximises the return on the firms’ time and cost investments. This will involve proactive targeting as well as responding to incoming invitations.
The Proposals Manager/Senior Manager will:
- Ensure the highest standards of pitching best practice take place with key clients.
- Work closely with fee-earners to develop winning strategies and propositions for significant pitch opportunities, frequently covering several proposals simultaneously.
- Take responsibility for strategic and high-value proposals: driving the process; shaping the team; facilitating meetings; agreeing strategy, pricing and messaging; drafting and reviewing content from a sales perspective and coaching pitch teams.
- Conduct win/loss reviews for major proposals, identify themes from win/loss reviews conducted across the firm and take action appropriately.
- Respond to ad hoc queries from across the firm as needed and identify trends in queries asked, and develop responses, e.g., a new tool.
- Manage communication and coordination within the practice-based BD managers team.
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2017 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2018: currently ranked 6th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or via email.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Mona Rangar (Interim Recruitment Manager ) on 020 7919 5739 or email
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Credibility and Influencing
- Demonstrate credibility and first-rate influencing skills in order to enthuse partners and shape their approach to pitches (due to the breadth of this role and the size of the firm, the post holder may not know the partners involved in the proposal and will have to build credibility from a ‘standing start’).
- Prioritise time effectively and manage competing demands for support and advice. Enjoy working relatively autonomously and be comfortable with being a ‘swat team of one’, linking in with practice area Business Development Managers (for whom pitching is a large part of their roles) and drawing on other resources.
- Show strong project-management skills in order to lead the firm’s most important cross-team pitches successfully.
- Be effective at managing virtual teams, involving and drawing on the resources and expertise of local BD teams and other resources. Show sensitivity to local nuances in terms of proposals best practice, and be effective at building rapport with partners and BD professionals based across the firm's network.
- Have good commercial understanding of the markets in which the firm operates and be prepared to get up-to-speed on relevant products or sectors quickly.
Diversity & Inclusion
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm. Encourages diverse teams be put forward in all pitches.