To ensure a high level of client service and provision of quality secretarial services whilst demonstrating the ability to manage both self and others in order to contribute to an overall world class 24 hour administration service. The Senior PA reports to a Legal Support Team Leader (LSTM) and is expected, on a daily basis, to create a positive working relationship with the Stakeholders (currently Director of Strategy, Marketing & Business Development, Head of Marketing and Communications and a Consultant) along with their teams with whom they work.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative and executive support related tasks and will be able to work independently with little or no supervision. The ability to interact with staff at all levels, sometimes under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality, is crucial to this role. Expert level written and verbal communication skills, strong decision making ability and attention to detail are equally important. We are looking for an experienced career-minded PA, who has either legal sector or other professional services experience.
We place an important emphasis on the development and well being of our people, we look to enable all of our employees to be the best they can be in order for them to deliver an excellent client service. We provide a specifically tailored Learning & Development Programme for all staff in Secretarial Services, a structured induction programme for all of our new joiners, a buddy scheme, and offer excellent career development opportunities. Our Secretarial Services staff enjoy an inclusive and supportive culture.
Duties will include:
- To understand key roles, responsibilities and priorities of the various Stakeholders, proactively building up strong relationships with each internal and external contact in order to provide a high level support service, acting as an effective ambassador for the various Stakeholders and their teams at all times
- To proactively manage the various Stakeholders in respect of their time, ensuring regular catch-up meetings to review and update on diary commitments, key priorities, tasks and projects etc.
- To proactively collate and prepare agendas, papers etc in advance of key meetings in any of the Stakeholders' calendars
- To manage and drive the individual regular catch-ups with the various Stakeholders to help scope out weekly activities and support to make the best use of their time by dealing with secretarial and administrative tasks.
- To undertake proactive e-mail management (manage inbox and file/categorise e-mails), ensuring that urgent emails are promptly picked up, responded to and actioned in any Stakeholder's absence or redrawn to the attention of the relevant Stakeholder if an email has been overlooked.
- To support the various Stakeholders with highly confidential matters and documentation, as appropriate
- To promptly respond to telephone and email queries, drafting communication on their behalf and proactively action/forward in the various Stakeholder's absences. Screening phone calls, enquiries and requests and handling them when appropriate.
- To manage projects and events (e.g. hosted conferences/seminars or department events), taking ownership of end to end process
- To attend meetings, conference calls etc as appropriate to note key actions and responsibilities on behalf of the various Stakeholders. To also ensure that any presentation is displayed (where appropriate)
- To undertake front of office duties including liaising with reception regarding visitors, booking rooms, catering, video conferencing facilities and arranging security passes on behalf of the various Stakeholders or anyone within their departments.
- To proactively make travel arrangements (visas, flights, hotels, dinners), taking full ownership of all logistics and preparing full itineraries for the various Stakeholders or anyone with their department.
- To handle all authorisation of absences/holiday etc of the various Stakeholders in terms of their team requirements
- To proactively support the various Stakeholders and the wider Marketing and Business Development Department with administration/other tasks as and when required.
- To undertake typing, producing and formatting documents along with the creation of presentations using DPU where necessary (usually Word/Powerpoint/Excel)
- To support any client activities and requirements in a proactive manner, liaising with clients e.g. taking messages, passing on information and dealing with simple queries.
- To also provide support to the events team at various client events both in the lead up and whilst during
- To build effective relationships with the various PAs across the firm (London and Global), acting as an ambassador for the various Stakeholders at all times
- To proactively control and run the Marketing and Business Development Budget to incorporate acting as the department's coordinator for the annual budgeting process, maintaining expenditure records so that recommendations can be made as to the available funds, produce and review monthly variance report and investigate variances, manage the payment of invoices/expenses and attend monthly meetings with finance.
- To handle all administration in respect of the Leadership Department meetings taking ownership of end to end process
- Co-ordinate new joiners (including both the London and Manila teams) to ensure that all new joiners in Marketing and Business Development Department have the necessary equipment and desk location (liaising with IT), all introductions scheduled and generally ensuring everything is all in order
- General administrative duties - photocopying, scanning and mail distribution
- To coordinating office and room moves
- Arranging external department training, team building and social outings where necessary
- Order IT and stationery supplies as required
- Carrying out background research and presenting findings
- Carrying put specific projects and research
- To be part of the Social Committee in helping to organise various Social Events for the Marketing and Business Development department throughout the course of a year. Also scheduling regular meetings to keep the Committee on track whilst being aware of budget restrictions
- To be considered as a contact person between the department and the various Stakeholders where necessary
- To operate as an ambassador for the various Stakeholders within their various departments and the wider firm.
- To provide personal support to the various Stakeholders (non B&M related), subject to PA's discretion.
- Career-minded candidates who have legal sector or other professional services experience / background, i.e. from the Big Four or banking sector.
- Experience at supporting senior management level
- 'Can-do' attitude, demonstrates proactivity and takes the initiative
- Highly numerate
- Consistently demonstrates secretarial competencies to the highest level in all areas
- Strong technical skills, including proficient in all software packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
- High level organisational skills
- People management experience / Relationship building skills
- Project management skills
- Ability to deal with complex administrative issues and resolving problems/issues efficiently
- Comfortability and quick adaption with change
- Ability to work under pressure and keep calm
- Ability to take ownership for and meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritise multiple activities for multiple Stakeholders
- Ability to deal with complex administrative issues
- Ability to work unsupervised and on one's own initiative
- Flexibility, Dedication, Humanity and Efficiency
Diversity and Inclusion
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2016 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017: currently ranked 7th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or via email.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Aylin Berenti Recruitment Officer, on 020 7072 5772 or via email.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.