To manage and support the team with compliance reporting for the London office; including financial statements, VAT, PAYE Settlement Agreement, and partnership tax returns.
- Assist and review the preparation of the annual LLP financial statements partnering with Global and Regional Finance
- Review the preparation of quarterly VAT returns concerning all local entities.
- Assist in the preparation and review of the Partnership Tax return
- Review the annual financial statements of the service companies partnering with Global and Regional Finance
- Review monthly management accounts
- Provide detailed analysis and information needed to explain and drive financial initiatives and priorities
- Managing the preparation of corporation tax returns for the service companies
- Support the team in maintaining the general ledger and balance sheet accuracy in conjunction with in-market accounting resources
- Oversee all GL to sub-ledger reconciliations, fixed assets, VAT filing support, Tax payment calculations, and inter-firm reconciliation
- Review and approve journal entry adjustments and balance sheet re-classifications
- Provide local management reporting for the office concerning compliance issues.
- Coordinate year-end audit for LLP and Service Company entities
- Provide support for internal/external audits as necessary.
- Advise on relevant developments in accounting, tax, and VAT legislation and implementing any necessary changes
- Define and implement operational guidelines to ensure compliance with local tax and accounting regulations
- Support PBS21 initiatives and help ensure they are implemented in alignment with strategy and guidelines set by Specialist Functions and Global Process Owners
- Assist with the development of financial procedures and processes throughout the firm
- Manage and supervise the Reporting Accountant and Financial Accountant
- Deliver projects successfully including but not limited to "Making Tax Digital" VAT and Income Tax, Base Period Reform
The Finance function provides the following services to the Firm:
- Supporting strategic decision-making from a financial and business perspective
- Managing cash flow, including accounts payable, credit checks, billing, and collections
- Ensuring firm-wide purchasing excellent and efficiency
- Financial reporting, budgets, and forecasts
- Securing financing across the global firm
About the candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Qualified Accountant ACA, ACCA or CIMA qualification (8+ years PQE)
- Significant relevant Finance experience in Compliance from within a professional services organization is preferred
- Proven ability to influence, interact and consult with senior leaders regarding finance processes, guidelines, and compliances
- Demonstrated expertise in operational efficiency and financial accounting. Strong in project management and systemic thinking
- Demonstrated ability to assess risk and take decisive, appropriate actions, especially in the case of exception requests
- Ability to network and collaborate with teams both regional and global, while acknowledging their cultural, social, and academic diversity
- Working proficiency in using MS Office ( experience in excel macros preferable but not essential) and other Productivity Tools
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distills a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Has a capacity to take on new ideas and develop knowledge and to think holistically about business and address media, analyst, employee, and client audiences
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with the agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative, and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Uses complex, coordinated influencing/negotiation strategies, adapted to people, organizations, and/or the situation, e.g. networks
- Leverages direct reports to facilitate increased collaboration across the organization
- Builds partnerships based on a common agreement that acknowledges individual differences but creates a new commonality beyond root belief large-scale
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve mutually satisfactory outcome; shows good judgment on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures, and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with discretion
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2020 - ranked 1st
- The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
- Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
- For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
- Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
- Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
- Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
- Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
- Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
- Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
- Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, David Roberts, Recruitment Manager, on 020 7072 5752 or David.Roberts@bakermckenzie.com
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here - London Applicant Privacy Notice | Baker McKenzie
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please see the link for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly - London Agency Policy | Baker McKenzie
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
Baker McKenzie London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.